Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

LB Rock Pit with T7 & BH

Old 08-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default LB Rock Pit with T7 & BH

I hadsome realy great plans for task to get done today.... nothing went much as planned....

Goal #1 - Check to make sure the Omega was still sighted in as I had left it 2 season's ago... + I had removed the standard black composit stock and installed a thumbhole composit stock.

I broke out 10 clay pigeons and placed them on the rock wall at the back of the pit(100 to 105 yards)... I really like shooting breakable targets - but my first shot I thought Oh-Oh! - I aimed right on the center of the disk and it was still there when the smoke cleared. The gun is sighted 2 1/2 high @ 100 so hopefully maybe that is why. Re-loaded sighted in on the bottom of the disk - no disk when the smoke cleared - picked offsix morewithout a problem. ThenI thought I would get the last 3 with BH-209 (part of the plan - actually I was to shoot 5 and 5 but when you are on a role it is hard to change course)

I had pre-loaded10 of Lanes tubes with a measured 77 grains (110 grains volume) of BH-209.Which was the next goal (Goal #2)I wanted to test... would a 25acp small rifle primer ignite BH-209??? The first two shots with BH seemed very good instant ignition - recoil felt good and most importantly - the birds broke with the same POA. The 3rd shot I thought there might have been a hint of a hang fire but everything seemed OK and the bird broke....

Goal #3 - was to get some comparison velocities of BH and T7. I have this theory that for BH to work to maximum effeciency that it has to be ignited with a very hot start. If my thoery was correct thenthe 25acp if it started the BH - the velocity should be down. One of the goals in the propose comparison was to check that theory with a Small Rifle primer a small rifle mag primer and then aCCI 209m primer and a Cheddite 209 primer.

Goal #3 went to heck in a hand basket as my tripod failed to work properly so I could not get the Chrono positioned correcty... Goal #3 will have to wait for another trip. PLUS - it was really getting hot - I was sweating up a storm dripping all over the stock - I hate shooting when it is hot...

Final thing I did before leaving was to post a target @ 100 and conduct one final test...

Shot #1 was with 110gr.T7 - 250 grain Gold Dot - HPH-24 25 acp primer... I did not feel real good about the shot when it went off - felt I may have pulled it a bit.
Shot #2 as above but the hold felt better...
Shot #3 - 110 gr. BH-209... It was a definite hang fire not much of one but I knew it was a hang fire...
Shot #4 - as above with BH but I switched to a Small Rifle Mag Rifle primer. All was well in the world again instant ignition and recoil felt correct.

Shot 4 more BH shots with mag primers @ pieces of the clay pigeons on the rock bank... no hint of a hang fire and the gun was totally accurate... It will be the deer hunting gun for this season - but i will be using T7 powder.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: LB Rock Pit with T7 & BH

nice shooting... it is fun to shoot something other then paper. I often times will take a soda can (that I empty when shooting paper) and put that out and then blow lots of holes through it...

Good luck with the upcoming season.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice - Anyone should be happy with that group even if all the loads were the same. Looks to me like the T7 and BH209 hits the same POI with the same volume. I would stick with the T7 just for the financial benefit. (You can buy a new tripod with the money you save...
Old 08-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good shooting, Mike. Look forward to your chrono comparisons.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shot #4 - as above with BH but I switched to a Small Rifle Mag Rifle primer. All was well in the world again instant ignition and recoil felt correct.

Shot 4 more BH shots with mag primers @ pieces of the clay pigeons on the rock bank... no hint of a hang fire and the gun was totally accurate
I am so sorry to hear that Sabotloader - takes away one of my excuses for not trying BH.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

But! remember it was a very warm morning... will the mag primer start the powder when it is really cold??? and I hate to say this but I am thinking it will - will not know for awhile though...
Old 08-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well it's a pretty rare morning that we have temperatures below the mid-30's, and more likely in the mid-40's. Anyway, I was thinking it might be a good idea to open up the flash hole in the .25 ACP case a little to let as much flash from the primer as possible through.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting
Utah Rob sent me a 25 ACP breech plug to try but I have not been able to shoot it yet.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

saxman1

The 25 ACP is an excellent alternative to the 209 BP. You should find it is a lot cleaner than the 209 also.

I really do not know enough yet to declare that the 25 ACP with a small rifle magnum primer will ignite BH every time in every condition but todays experiance leads me to believe it will - so if you are into shooting BH it should work for you also...

Semisane
Mid 30/40's - that is really warm - we do the 0 /-10 quite often here... been in the woods @ -20 several times - that temp really allows you to see your breath or even more thrilling when it is that cold and you get to see a bull bugle... he really put out a lot smog...

Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

we do the 0 /-10 quite often here...
Man, I don't even own any clothes that would do the job inthat temperature.

Quick Reply: LB Rock Pit with T7 & BH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.