Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

LB Rock Pit with T7 & BH

Old 08-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: LB Rock Pit with T7 & BH

sabotloader
The mag large rifle primer has the best ignition,most consistent and themost consistent grouping, from what I am told. The small rifle mag has a tendency to string the up and down some. One of my friends in LI has put together a custom made 700BDL for muzzle loading smokeless that uses a shortened 44 case and large rifle primers and he likes BH for where he is not supposed to use smokeless. Lee
Old 08-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: LB Rock Pit with T7 & BH

LEE

I am sure that a large rifle mag primer would do the job... but not much chance of getting one of those in a 25 ACP - so I am hoping the small rifle mag might do the job. Time will tell.... it is not that important at this time but in the future it might be. This winter when it really cools off I will be able to do some more testing.

I think still my best indicator is going to be velocity. If I am achieving the velocity with the small rifle mag primer that I achieve with a hot 209 then the world will be right. To me that would indicate that I am getting the powder burned before the projectile leaves the barrel.

One thing I "think" I noticed - the 110 grain shots of BH really heated the barrel quicker than T7 - it certainly was hot and took a lot more time to cool down - but then again the outside temp was rising rapidly also.

Another minor positive point that came from shooting the 25acp - I did not find any hard carbon deposits either in the breech plug or breech area... The last time I shot BH with 209 primers I got a really hard difficult deposit of carbon on the floor of the reciever under the breech plug.