Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

another BH 209 convert

Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default another BH 209 convert

Got my BH 209 in yesterday and got out to try it today.

T/C Omega stainless, remington 209 primers, 90 grains BH 209, Hornady FPB bullets. No swabing between shots.

5 shot group at 100 yards = 2 & 1/4 inches with a peep sight !

Nuff said.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: another BH 209 convert

WOW!! nice shooting. That is some excellent powder.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Would you guys please STOP with the BH209 reports. I'm starting to getweak, and if I end up buying some ofthat golden dust it will be your fault.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, and I paid $38 bucks from Cabelas plus the $20 hazmet fee, but I had enough credit that I was only out of pocket $9, so I couldn't resist.

I would also have to say, it does pack a wallop. Seems to me that it kicks harder than 777. With a SIMs though, it was tolerable.

One other interesting fact, the granules are HARD. It doesn't seem to settle at all after filling up my powder measure, and it it hard to "cut" off at the top because the granules are so hard.

Cayugad: I am getting just as good of groups with 777, so I think the accuracy is due to the FPB's, but having a powder that is noncorrsive and doesn't need swabbing is a great bonus.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Dominant Buck

The grains are kind of strange looking, almost like they have little holes through them. And they are hard. But I had no problem cutting the charge. And when seating, it seems real firm down there.

I was kind of hoping Semisane would get some of that powder and then tell us more about it...
Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I do get some I'll have to keep it a secret because I've sworn I won't pay the price. Now, if they sold 500 grain sample packs I would go for that.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

txhunter, Ive noticed the same about cutting off the top, Im gonna start weighing my charges. Time to get ready for hunting season. It is pricey but I only shoot maybe a bottle a year or so, So its worth it to me. Man I cant wait till hunting season
2 1/2 inch group with a peep. Thats some good shooting
Old 08-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Would you guys please STOP with the BH209 reports. I'm starting to getweak, and if I end up buying some ofthat golden dust it will be your fault.
SS,
That is easy, you practice self control by looking at the subject, in this case "another BH 209 convert" and say to yourself---"I am NOT going to read that post, 'cause I know what it will say". You can then stay semi sane instead of being enlighten with the latest greatest tips.
Chap
Old 08-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: cayugad

The grains are kind of strange looking, almost like they have little holes through them. And they are hard. But I had no problem cutting the charge. And when seating, it seems real firm down there.

I was kind of hoping Semisane would get some of that powder and then tell us more about it...
I am told they DO have little holes in them, a consequence of the "extruding" process. No real problem with cutting, but takes a little more force. I do like the firmness, no settling when measuring and seating the bullet sure feels different, just a firm seat, no compression felt.

the other worry is whether conicals would shoot with it. At least the tight fitting hornady FPB's do. And not even a hint of a hangfire. As well as they shoot, works for me!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

txhunter58
Until it showed up in our nearest Sportsmans for 29.89 I bought from Graf and Sons by the case 29.99 +hazmat+shipping = 32.80 which is better than some stores. Lee
Of course I shoot up to 2 cans a month so it is more practical to buy more at one time.

Quick Reply: another BH 209 convert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.