Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Went shooting today

Old 08-04-2008, 06:05 PM

Default Went shooting today

Took the Omega and the new mountain rifle out today. My first 3 shots with the omega and the 405 powerbelts did ok, it wasnt the same accuracy that i had with the 348's but then again, i was using a new powder, Pyrodex RS - 80 grains. 2" group @ 100 yards. Not bad but it got a lot better with 70 grains Pyrodex P and put them into a 1" group.

Tomorrow i am going to start with the omega and pyrodex RS and use the remington kleanbore primer this time and see how she does.

CVA Mountain Rifle .54 with 70gr pyrodex P, .015 bore butter patch and a homecast .530 ball nailed the center of the bull eye @ 70 yards. I went back to 100 yards and found the next shot lined up with the 70 yard shot but it was 5 1/2" high! I adjusted the sights to much and spend 3 more shots getting it on sight again. My final and 6th shot "no swabbing" hit directly center but 2" low of the bulls eye. 1/4" turn and i will have it dead on and hopefully hitting the 6 o'clock area.

Picked up a new Knight #11 nipple and some Flitz polishing compound. I ran about 25-30 passes with some flitz on 0000 Steel wool and it really smoothed out the bore and the small area of pitting at the muzzle. May take it out again after dinner and see how it does and if i got it center yet. Great day for the new rifle and already found an accuracte load.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Went shooting today

Sounds like a productive day FG
Did you use regular cleaning stuff to get the flitz out or something else?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:04 PM

hot soapy water with some pinesol (smells sooo purdy) And then i patched it until it came clean, bore brushed it and patched it again. Followed up by windex. And then 6 shots at 100 yards. Cleaning it again.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Forgot to post how the late evening shooting event went!

6 shots @ 100 yards My first shot hit the bucket dead center but 5 1/2" high again, Shots 2 and 3 drifted WAY off to the left. I went out there and put up my big target board and kicked myself for not putting up the bigger black dot. 2" was barely visable, 3" way the same. Tomorrow i will put up a big 4-5" black dot and give it a go again with new powder, 80gr pyrodex RS, .015 patch and a powerbelt lead ball. We'll see how that goes.

Omega goes up first as i need to get this one sighted in ASAP. I'll shoot the Mtn Rifle during mid-late evening.

The other 3 shots @ 100 yards Measured 9" on the big board but i will blame that on my right eye as i have gone blind in that eye again [:'(]
Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 AM

Looks like its going to be an early morning shooting event with the Mountain Rifle. Was rudely woken up this morning by people saying, Hurry! come watch TV! Your dog made the news again!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 AM

I am pooped. 15 shots and i got everything adjusted and my hunting loads figured out. 80gr pyrodex RS, homecast .530 ball, i dump the powder down the bore, shift it over under the nipple and then push a patch down on top of the powder and then my patched round ball.

The single .015 patch was being blown out in the center and thats what was causing all of my accuracy issues the other day.
2" group @ 100 yards. All hitting the 6 0'clock area. 90 grains shoots the same but raises impact a good 2 1/2" Plus added recoil.

Time to clean out the barrel and do some more shooting later on possibly.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Were you using prelubed patches? And, if so, how old are they?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:08 AM

yes prelubed, bought them new 2 months ago and never opened the package until today. Still greasy. All of the .54s i had never could shoot them good unless i double patched. I have some .018 pillow ticking to try out but i am not sure how its going to be loading on a dirty bore.

Here she is on the firing line,

Now i will be taking the Omega out back.