Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another FPB range report

Old 08-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another FPB range report

I finally got a hold of some new Hornady FPB's.(Scheel's). I've been anxious to try them. Ishot most of a box yesterday along sidemy 338power belts. Today shot some more and took pictures. Keep in mind, this is still prep for my CO elk trip.

All shooting was off a bench at 100 yd. with my KRB. Unfortunately, there was a 15-20 mph cross-wind which seemed to blow my groups a little left when compared to yesterday. The 338 gr. powerbelts were sitting on top of 110 gr. of ffg T-7. The FPB's were propelled by 100 gr. of the same stuff. Open sights, regular Win. 209 primers, one spit patch and one dry patch between loads. Tips cut off the FPB's.

The first two powerbeltswent in toone ragged hole at 11:00 on the edge of the bull. The last one nicked the tape on the upper left corner. The 3 FPB's printed a nice 2 3/4" group at the right height, but about 5" left. I'll need to adjust my sights a little right if I go with them. One thing I've noticed is that there are no flyers in the FBP groups

Loadingthe FPB's was pretty easy, I'd say easier than Great Plains Conicals. The trick, though is to get them perfectly alligned with the bore. If they're a little ascew, they won't go in. Even though getting them into the muzzle was easier, they required more force to send them down the barrel. They seated with plenty of pressure.
Now I'm in a quandry. Do I stick to the pb's or jump ship to the FPB's? Either way, I suspect more shooting is in order.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:47 PM

Default RE: Another FPB range report

Seeing how each group has atleast one bullet thats out of the group, i would buy an assortment of primers such as remington kleanbore, win 777, cci 209 and the win w209.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

That to me is pretty good shooting for open sights at 100 yards with a cross wind. I would guess the Hornady's might have drifted more then the powerbelts. but it never fails, you get a good group going and up pops a flier.

I think you need more range time. Perhaps try some different powder charge strengths. Over all nice shooting.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice! One more guy who is getting good groups with FPB's Looks like you would be ok either way. Decisions, decisions!

Now I just have to get some Blackhorn and see how the FPB's shoot, so I also still have some finetuning to do!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wingbone
One thing I've noticed is that there are no flyers in the FBP groups

Very nice shooting at 100 wiht open sights. What open sight are you using, factory supplied sight or did you put on a peep? To me the fact that the FPB is consistent, loads OK in your rifle and won't fragement on a close shot at 110g of 777 would lead me to conclude that FPB is best in your gun, but then again I am biased against PB based on personal experience. Honestly either would work well in your rifle. I recommend you also try the Blackhorn, it could shrink your group by 1/2 to 1", very consistent powder, and very clean--no swabing between shots.
Chap
Old 08-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

great shooting. when I shot (only at 50yrds) 295gr hp powerbelts and fpb's I got the same groups but my last round of fpb's got a great group but I worked for it. had one flier with fpb's.

plan on trying 295gr at next time out

Do I stick to the pb's or jump ship to the FPB's?
as for that, look at cost. in my area powerbelts are $3 to 5 cheaper then fpb's. but over all, it is up to you which way you want to go. go with what the gun tells you.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chap,
I'm using the factory sights. I'd really like to put a peep on her. I prefer peep sights to opens. For the reason's you stated I'm leaning toward switching to the FPB's. I'm going to try some shooting at 150 and 200 yd. I suspect that will help me make my decision. I also will try to stuff aFPB down the barrel without swabbing just to see if I can get a quicker second shot if necessary. I'm afraid it might be a chore. I can load a powerbelt down a fouled barrel. As for switching to Blackhorn, I have read thatit will hangfire in the KRB, so that option is probably out for the immediate future.

Cory,
It's just the opposite here. The FPB's are about $3-$4 cheaper than the PB platinum's
Old 08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was talking about the copper. they are only a $1 less then platinums at walmart, one gun shop a platinums are a $1 less. 2 other gunshops the platinums are $3 to $4 more

sorry did not make my self clear.

been doing a little shopping around