Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Out shooting today

Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Out shooting today

I went out this morning with a couple rifles to do some shooting, realized I only had 8 hot primers for the bh 209 so I took along the 45 disc E-lite
First target is the Omega with bh 209, 250 gr. barnes expanders. I ran a dry patch down the barrel first snapped a couple 777 caps cause I only had 8 cci magnums and started shooting. They seemed to load about right (2 hand, moderate pressure) I really paid close attention to the pressure as I hit the powder, concentrated really good on a firm grip, pulling in to the shoulder and down on the stock and forearm. And here are the results

Next was the disc elite 45 with hornady 200 gr xtp with 100 gr triple seven, and crush rib sabots I got from Indiana smokepole, THANX

I shot 4 shots with each gun and let it cool, really can't see why I should be getting these flyers, everything is tight, scope base, rings, etc.
I guess breech plugs need to be replaced every once in a while if they are showing some blowback erosion. Will have to put my glasses on and look at the Omega. Am pretty pleased with the 45 disc. Hardly any crud ring to speak of, one spit patch between every shot and then a dry one.

I guess After I get some more cci primers I will try some shockwaves in the Omega.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Out shooting today

Good shooting there dp. Those kind of groups can drive you crazy. Half the bullets in a one-hole group and the others scattered. When I do that (and I seem to do it a lot, especially with iron sights)I tend to blame the shooter and not the load or gun. With groups like you're getting with T7, why pay the price for BH?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

that is some excellent shooting. Fliers happen and often show up at the time you least expect them. Still, that T-7 seems to be a good powder for you.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:27 PM

Now bare with me here...I don't know a lot about muzzleloaders
but do the cartridge rifles..And other high powder..The first thing
I learned when shooting in compition was to use a very,very light
cheek presure on the stock..TOO MUCH will cause the stock to
twist causing flyers...So try it and see what happens....John
Old 08-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting! I've experienced similar problems - several shots in a very tight group (like 1.5" or less at 100 yards) and then for no apparent reason, then next shot is out of the group by 2" or so. There have been times when maybe I flinched a little and could have caused it, but other times I've been sure that I was on target. One of those mysteries, I guess. When I switched to 777 primers from the hotter Federal 209A primers, the problem of these flyers got a lot better, but it still happens sometimes.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

FYI my Omega has more shots through it than most MLs get in their lifetime and I am on the original plug. I would look at shooting form first if the gun has no history of giving flyers.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have quit after 4567 on the first target and called it a day.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good shootin!!!!!!!