Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting for fun today

Old 07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Shooting for fun today

At no time was the barrel swabbed during these twenty seven shots. I have been shooting most of the rifles with a magnified scope, so I threw the Nikon 1X on the .451 White M97 and decided to see how well it held.

This is hard to admit but at 35 yards I had a hard time to focus on the white square. I was basically aiming for what I thought was the center of the white square. The cross hairs of the scope covered a lot of that area, but I did my best to shoot a group. The big difference was the small piece of red tape in the center. That stuck out like a sore thumb.

I did have to adjust the scope after shooting the first group (upper right) It was shooting to the right a little. And the center target was shot with the LEE MOLD 405 grain .457 diameter that I reduced to .451 diameter. They weigh in pure lead at 420 grains.

Overall, the rifle shot very well for it being so hot today. It was 81 degrees, and I was not letting the barrel cool. I was just out there shooting. From 35 yards, I could see the hole through the paper with the naked eye. So I never even had to go down range and check the target. I just kept shooting.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting for fun today

Nice shooting again Cayugad (wish you would post a horrible group once in a while, just to make me feel good).

I'll be posting my groups with the 420 Lee out of the LRH barrel tomorrow. I wish it looked like that group out of your White - but it sure doesn't.

81 degrees??? A cold front! The thermometer on the riflerange was at 96 when I quit shooting around noon today.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

So "shooting for fun" means the same old boring results of a tight and consistant group.

No really Dave, nice shooting. I love finding loads that you can just load and shoot with no swabbing or fuss. Great report, thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi - what do you expect - he's shooting a scoped in line at 35 yds. Of course at Dave's age, its hard for him to carry that target all the way out to 50 ydsand then back to the bench.
He's getting almost as bad as me. Wife asked me yesterday if I wanted to go upstairs and have sex. I told her to pick one - I can't do both.