Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Recovered 295 AT Powerbelt

Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 PM

Default Recovered 295 AT Powerbelt

Recovered these from yesterdays shooting at 100 yards.

75g Pyrodex P into damp sand. Bullet mushroomed perfect. A new bullet weighs 20grams, Every recovered bullet also weighed 20 grams.

Penetration was excellent, Two of the shots on my first go with the 295's exited the sand bucket.

I will be using 80 grains pyrodex select this year but it was good to learn the 3f charge do's and donts.

Here is 2 of the Powerbelts i recovered.

I just thought of this, I have Three, 295g Powerbelts left and was going to shoot tomorrow. I will pull the Aerotip out and test those and see how much of a difference there is.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Recovered 295 AT Powerbelt

It's apparent that you are really well versed with powerbelts. Also one might conclude that if a bucket of sand did not splatter them, then a game animal would not either.

Perhaps a different experiment would be to shoot them into some sort of media from whichyou could recover them, but do it at about 15 yards. See if with the hunting powder charge you do use, if the powerbelt would splatter at close distance..

Maybe shoot into something like a pine board for starters to simulate bone and then see what happens. Other wise I wonder if by the time they reach your sand trap if they have not slowed down enough that they would not longer have a threat of splatter...

Is any of this making sense?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

Why is the plastic skirt still on the bullet... everything I hve been told is the Power Belt should shed it skirt... In fact they recommend lubricating the post to insure that the skirt comes off..
Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 PM

Yep what you said does make sense.

I did the pine 2x6 trick some months ago with the 270 platinums and the bullets did not mushroom no where near as much. Kind of like it slowed it down a bit before hitting the sand.

Next time out i will try some more of those 2x6's.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

FG

Why is the plastic skirt still on the bullet... everything I hve been told is the Power Belt should shed it skirt... In fact they recommend lubricating the post to insure that the skirt comes off..
Thats a skirt off a new bullet. They kept falling over so i snapped one into place. Some different batches of skirts fit a little tighter from bullet to bullet. Just the way the plastic is. I have a bunch of those bases all over down range.

The only Powerbelt that i have run in to with sticking skirts are some 45's and the platinums. With the platinum, the skirt breaks off but the center that snaps to the base of the bullet is still attached. Thats one thing i hate about the platinum. The new skirt is harder material.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 PM

Cayugad, Heres the 270g platinum with 100g pyrodex select @ 58 yards. The bullet on the far right is the one that went through a 2x6 that i had in front of the sand. The bullet in the middle is without the 2x6 and the far left is 20 yard shot through the sand bucket.

Even those the 2 shots without the board look thin, I could not bend them at all! The 348's i shot at 50 and 100 yards also were thin in some cases but shed only 2 grams of weight " 24 grams brand new for the 348"

I found a metal bucket the other day, i was thinking that would be pretty good for some kind of bone type material.

Then again, i found a deer shoulder blade in the driveway that the dog found Tape it to my 100 yard bucket in the AM?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:53 PM

THOSE ARE SOME VERY NICE SHROOOMS RIGHT THERE !

Ron
Old 07-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Recovered these from yesterdays shooting at 100 yards.

75g Pyrodex P into damp sand. Bullet mushroomed perfect. A new bullet weighs 20grams, Every recovered bullet also weighed 20 grams.

Penetration was excellent, Two of the shots on my first go with the 295's exited the sand bucket.

I will be using 80 grains pyrodex select this year but it was good to learn the 3f charge do's and donts.

Here is 2 of the Powerbelts i recovered.

I just thought of this, I have Three, 295g Powerbelts left and was going to shoot tomorrow. I will pull the Aerotip out and test those and see how much of a difference there is.
Boy these looked very good, perfect mushroom heads and long shanks, longer than the mushroom. Perfect. That is what those should be shot at, in my opinion for optimum penetration and therefore terminal permance.
Chap