Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OT A gun in the house

Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default OT A gun in the house

[blockquote]
A gun in the house
[/blockquote]
[blockquote]
The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory indefense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is moreimportant than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else issupplemental.

[/blockquote]
[blockquote]
As John Steinbeck once said:
[/blockquote]
[blockquote]
1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'lljust kill you.
[/blockquote]
[blockquote]
2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
[/blockquote]
[blockquote]
3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.
[/blockquote]
[blockquote]
4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
[/blockquote]
[blockquote]
5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. Thereporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and askedhim 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't makea 46.'
[/blockquote]
[blockquote]
6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.
[/blockquote]
[blockquote]
7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented onhis wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are youexpecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would havebrought my rifle.'
[/blockquote]
[blockquote]

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

[/align]
But wait, there's more!
[/align][/blockquote]
[blockquote]
I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said Idid. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, ofcourse it is loaded, can't work without bullets!' She then asked, 'Are youthat afraid of some one evil coming into your house?' My reply was, 'No notat all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fireextinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.' To which I'll add,having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas! in the tank.

[/blockquote]
[blockquote]
I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment!
[/blockquote]
Old 07-09-2008, 05:49 AM

Default RE: OT A gun in the house

Ask any sniper still living and he'll tell you he'd rather hide from the posse than take 'em all on at once....the best offense isthe bestdefense.

My Dad always taught me to walk soft and carry a big stick, much to that and the element of surprise wins fights quicker than brute force.

I'm all for being armed and completely prepared, but going looking for a fight is not a good idea if living is the priority.

If this about the issue of having a loaded gun in the house or not, you've already messed up pretty badif you are surprised to the point of needing one already loaded....

Fire prevention works much better than fire extinguishers for making things not burn...............
Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

There are lots of people that feel firearms are nothing but trouble and refuse to allow them in the house. I understand their position and have no problem in THEM not having firearms in the house. Actually, loaded weapons in a home are not for everyone. If you do not have the mind set to use that firearm should the need arise, then it is more of a danger to you then help. Every year, armed citizens are disarmed and their own weapons used against them.

I have a friend who got rid of all his handguns and has his rifles under lock and key. If you met his child you would understand his decision. That kid just can not be trusted. Talk to some police officers and they also are not real fond of firearms in houses. But actually if the handgun is used properly they are not a danger. I personally do not ever feel threatened by a loaded firearm in the house, unless of course the owner is pointing it at me.

Taking guns away from honest citizens to me is like having a chicken coop in fox country and leaving the door open. You are only asking for trouble. And these home security systems are a good idea but not the entire answer.

Today, the home intruder is not a cat burglar as we read about in the old days. They are people usually with a chemical dependency problem and are looking for anything they can steal to support their dependency. When these criminal individuals encounter innocent home owners, the propensity for violence is real, and the home owner should be prepared as to how they will handle the problem. You can submit to the wishes of these criminals and hope they do not harm you, or you can confront them and attempt to stop them from doing harm to you or your property.

I keep firearms in my house. I keep them loaded. I am no danger to anyone who comes to my home. Unless they pose a danger to me first. Then they better be ready for me.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Amen Dave, my sentiments exactly.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

A few weeks a go we were broke into while we weout wife got home and realized the back door had been broke down, called me and the police,I got there about the same time as the police the theif came form the other end of the house carrying my loaded pocket pistol looked down the barrels of two 12 ga shot guns and dropped the gun and laid down and put his hands behind his neck. So we repair the damage and go on, but my buddie on the police force tells me the judge let him out on bail and he run so hes loose again. I am some what discussted with our judical system, I have a better plan if it happens again. Lee
Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

There's nothing wrong with the judicial system - my judge is a .44 Special, the jury members are in the chambers.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

There's nothing wrong with the judicial system - my judge is a .44 Special, the jury members are in the chambers.
I haven't heard that one before. Bravo!

I keep several loaded guns in the house. Growing up, we had no less than 5 or 6 loaded guns in the house. It was never an issue as my dad fully trusted my sister and myself as children. My wife and I do not have kids yet but my prayer is that one day I can fully trust them as my parents trusted us.

I would like to point out that I grew up and livedin a very small town in VA for 21 years and I'm pretty sure I could count on one hand the murders we had. When everyone knows everyone has a gun, they tend to be less confrontational.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I think we will see an ever increasing trend in our society where home security will become a major concern for people. We have reached a point in our social structure that people are to "ME" oriented. They feel if they want something and no one will provide it, then it justifies taking it. The need for armed home security will become more prevalent. Look in the papers. Read about the home invasions. Its a wonder people will even answer their doors. Look in the cities where people have bars on their doors and windows to keep unwelcome visitors from breaking in. It is madness.

We have lost a lot of the family values many of us grew up in. And believe me, I am not throwing a shame blanket on the American family. There are many excellent families out there. The trouble is many homes need two incomes to function. They do not have the time or are unwilling to take the time, to socialize their children. Their theory is, the kid complains, buy them something. The kid demands their way, let them do it. It keeps them out of their hair. And it keeps them quiet so the parents can do their own thing. After all "they" deserve it. Then later they can not understand why their child is in trouble.

Even the best families structureshave children go bad. And those homes you would never expect such a thing to happen. The temptations on the street for the young people these days is enormous.The best clothes, the best electronics, jewelry, drugs, alcohol, crime.. all of it face young people. Some young peopleare strong and just follow the socially acceptable path. Others give into the temptations and find themselves suddenly involved in the criminal justice system.

All this really means is ... if you have children, spend time with them. I love to see the parents that take their children hunting and fishing. That kind of contact will pay off big time in the future. Socialize them, let them know what is right and wrong. They will then make wise choices down the road.

And above all, be prepared. If guns are not your thing, perhaps a home security system or dogs are a better choice. If guns are acceptable, then be prepared to use them and deal with the consequences.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

All this really means is ... if you have children, spend time with them. I love to see the parents that take their children hunting and fishing. That kind of contact will pay off big time in the future. Socialize them, let them know what is right and wrong. They will then make wise choices down the road.
Dave brings up an interesting thought re taking a kid huntin' and fishin'. Growing up we hunted A) because we wanted to eat and then B) for enjoyment. Therefore we hadand usedshotguns and rifles. My dad owned 1 pistol (it was a service weapon) and he never used it. Reason being was, it was not effetive in hunting. If we missed we didn't eat. So as a result from us never using pistols MY impression as a kid growing up was when I seen murders and tv shows, they were all done w/pistols and I associated pistols w/crime. After all, they're not good to hunt with (in our minds) Granted I know quite a few people now that hunt with pistols and are very accurate and effective with them. But because of the culture that my parents created surrounding hunting and guns. Using a gun for a crime was a hollywood thing to us. After I moved from home and to 'the big city' I soon realized that I was very blessed to have had the parents I did/do.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:49 PM

That's it in a nutshell......

ORIGINAL: cayugad

If guns are acceptable, then be prepared to use them and deal with the consequences.
Few are, and fewer realize that if a gun is pulled then you must be willing to use it....

Internet bravado talk is cheap and lotsa tuff guys ultimatelycry like a school girl when faced with such a split second decision.

Where you live, and how you live, say much for the need to be armed for conflict in the first place....

Quick Reply: OT A gun in the house

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.