Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OT A gun in the house

Old 07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: OT A gun in the house

What Cayugad said.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OT A gun in the house

My views:

1) I have about 30 guns in my house and none are loaded. Certainly not now that my 14-month-old is mobile. I will not keep a loaded gun in the house under any circumstances until I get a quick-release safe. I was raised with appropriate fear and respect for firearms and knowing a gun is loaded but not in my hands and under my immediate control makes me incredibly nervous. I still open the action on an unloaded gun before I hand it to someone. I would like to have a readily available weapon in case of home invasion, but I just can't do it unless it is fully secured. I would also not be able to live with myself if I left a loaded gun, then someone broke in and used it against my family because I had left it loaded for them. My parents kept the guns leaning in the corner, but the ammo was all out of my little hands' reach.

2) I would never let my wife carry a gun. She is a wonderful, empathetic, non-confrontational person and would hesitate and be disarmed/have it used against her if she ever tried to draw one. While I pray the circumstances never require it I am confident I would act if I had to, so I carry. If you take a gun into a self-defense situation, it is a liability if you won't react when you need to.