Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

do you ever get sick walking into a store

Old 07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default do you ever get sick walking into a store

well another trip to gander mountain and another headache

i went to gander to get a good feel for a Tc triumph
Felt good i am a big guy the only issue i have is it feels like a big 22 or pellet gun but so does most mls to me.
I went to ask the guy at the counter to show me a bdc Nikon omega scope he handed me three diff scopes. one not even a Nikon . the second a Nikon but not the omega the third aa ml scope but not a BCD omega scope. i had to point it out to him.which having notseen one before the fact i found it first was bad enough.

The heask me what i want it for .
I said i am going to buy a Tctriumph . No i did not ask for histhought on the gun.
He tells me there junk not to buy them to buy a cva or traditions gun.

I ask why he said well you can get one for half or a third of a Tc .
Hey when did i tell the guy i want a cheap piece of junk .

I want a150 to250 yard scopefor a gun that will shoot250 not a gun that might do 150 if i am lucky.

Then hetell mehe does not hunt much.
I swear if one more stupid commentandi would have been on cops.

four times now i have went in there this year alone and got sold some stupid buy thisbecause it is cheap store or got sold some cheap piece ofjunk that wont cast 40 feetwith the wind.
If i want something cheap and junk i will go to walmart

Heck they wanted more for the maverick 88 then walmart wanted for the Mossberg 500

sorry for the rant just had to let it out
gander mountain sucks and when it comes time to buy my stuff i am driving to st Louis 200 miles to bass pro or cabelas
Old 07-07-2008, 10:38 AM

Default RE: do you ever get sick walking into a store

It happens. What you get are people working there who dont have a clue what they are talking about.

Get the cva accura [8D]
Old 07-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the things I learned while working retail was "...to support the customer decision..."

If the customer wanted to buy "A" and you knew it was inferior to "B," well you could politely suggest "B." But if the customer wanted "A" then stfu and support their decision.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a common problem in large sporting good stores. Especially in big City sporting good stores. They hire people to run a department that have little, limitied, or no experience with the kinds of products they are going to be recommending or selling.

I personally enjoy those people you described. Especially if I have done my research and know the product I am interested in forwards and backwards. I had one clerk reading the manual trying to answer questions on a Nikon scope one time. He had no clue what so ever what I was talking about, and I never let up on the questions. I figured if he wanted to be theAnswer Man then he better be able to play the part.

About the only time I ever speak up and really tell them they are stupid is if they start to spout information that is wrong or dangerous. Other wise I let them keep digging their hole before I fill it all in for them.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Whilesalespeoplelike thatcan be irritating, itserves a purpose even if neither party realizes it.
By challenging your preliminary decision about which rifle to buy, you begin to better organize your thoughts about the reasons why you want to buy it in the first place.
Sometimes it's better to be challenged and forced to explain your reasoning, even if it's only to yourself, so that you haveenough confidence in your decision the next time that you walk into the store to actually buy it.
There havebeen many guns that I've been interested in buying that once Iheld the piece, I didn't wantit anymore because it just didn't feel right.
If I'm not sure then I'll go home andponder on it some more. Don't we all?

Bysimply letting the fellow know that youweren't interested in lesser quality guns,he helped to reinforce your own decision to yourselfabout how much that you want to spend and how much thatyou reallylike the Triumph. People hem and haw about their purchases all of the time, so sometimes negative feedbackcanbe helpful and better than none, even if it is irritating. No gun is going to be perfect, and by saying something negative it helps you to realize it, even if you don't change your mind about it.
If youdo go toalarger store, check outall ofthegood brandsthoroughly so that you'retotally confidentabout what you want. There might be something out there thatfeels better to you. And if there's not, then there's no harm doneby shopping a little bitmore.
It's never a bad idea to keep an open mind and leavesome options open until the actual transaction has been completed.
Remember Yogi Berra's famoussaying, "It ain't over until it's over!".
Good luck with your purchase.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:30 PM

Well,for what its worth,you should,never go to Gander Mountain in the first place..
I went to a Cabelas one time and will never go again for the same reason you
mention..We have a Dicks sporting goods here,,And the name is correct..DICKS
is right..Nothing ever priced right,you have to watch their every move,etc

Now there is a Bass pro about 45 miles north of here,that is not to bad of a store.
I suppose they have their issues as well,but they have been good to me and I like
the one dollar hot dogs they have at times...I just got 3 new boat seats from them..
They only had 2 of what I wanted but were willing to sell me 3 of another for the
same price..I thought that was nice of them....

But as far as getting fishing items,from rods to reels etc..I still use the internet for
that...I really hate store shopping any way...In and right back out is my theroy..
But to each his own.....

Man is it hot and humid here today...I finished up the barn and got some wood split
but not today..Had to do some things on my honey dew list...Hoping for a new trolling
motor for my birthday.. Thats it from this end.I plan to be getting
out the Mustang and will send in my report as well....Johnny
Old 07-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys i like the triumph on bass pro midway and cabelas it got either a 5 out of 5 or a 4.8 out of five with one guy not liking it when i drive to cabelas i will check them all out
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been fortunate enough to deal with knowledgeable people the few time's that I've been in Bass Pro Shops in Canada and the one at Myrtle Beach.
Having said that..... I haven't found anyone who new a lick in one of more infamous outdoor stores here in Canada.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most times I have experienced the same from sales people in sports stores. However, a while back I wentto BassPro in my area and was very suprised to talkto a very knowledgable fellow. It turns out he moved herefrom NY state and had his own gunshop upthere.

I gotta say that I really enjoyed myself talking to this guy. I now look forward to seeing him on my visits to the store.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya i have the proplem with lowes theres one guy that know what he's doing the rest suck heck i took him out to lunch to say thanks for all the help every time i come in find a guy like that keep him happy
ORIGINAL: rafsob

Most times I have experienced the same from sales people in sports stores. However, a while back I wentto BassPro in my area and was very suprised to talkto a very knowledgable fellow. It turns out he moved herefrom NY state and had his own gunshop upthere.

I gotta say that I really enjoyed myself talking to this guy. I now look forward to seeing him on my visits to the store.