Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

pew that stinks

Old 07-06-2008, 08:05 PM

Default pew that stinks

How many of you ever hear that when you're in the house swabbing out the barrel of your muzzy?

Just for kicks and giggles i went to fire off a load i had in the cva mountain stalker for close to a month. Hit perfect, went off perfect. All was good in the bore.

Went inside to clean it and added my usual amount of dish soap, 3 sprays worth of windex and then i noticed a bottle of Pinesol.

I went and started to swab in the bucket and i only got the aroma of pinesol! Barrel cleaned out with one patch too!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pew that stinks

EW THAT SMELL, CANT YOU SMELL THAT SMELL
Old 07-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: saxman1

EW THAT SMELL, CANT YOU SMELL THAT SMELL
hehehe, that is what my wife says, [:'(]
Old 07-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

What smell? I don't smell anything.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I think a lot of non shooters reaction to the smell of black powder, etc being cleanedin the house is more of a put on or show. They smell an odor that is not common to the house and right away to some it is a major air pollution problem. I used to get ragged at for it all the time. I just ignored their comments.

In fact the way I stopped all of that foolishness is I was swabbing out a barrel one day so I could re-apply oil for the protection of the rifle. And as soon as the better half saw me swabbing a muzzleloader they started in on the .. "Oh that stink... Do you have to do that in the house, etc.." I then explained I was was not cleaning the rifle, there was not black powder smell, and their fits were all a show. And I did not appreciate their comments. I even showed her the patches and asked her to show me black powder residue. They never bothered me after that.

You want a stink in the house... have them ladiesdo a permanent in their hair. The girls would do that for each other and always at my house. I finally told them you want them curls put in your hair, go any place other then my house to do it. That smell actually can make me sick to my stomach. Now that is a stink.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

You want a stink in the house... have them ladiesdo a permanent in their hair. The girls would do that for each other and always at my house. I finally told them you want them curls put in your hair, go any place other then my house to do it. That smell actually can make me sick to my stomach. Now that is a stink.
My mom owned her own salon for about 20+ years. I'd drop in sometimes to see her and I'd always crack the door to the shop to see if she was doing a perm. If so, "Talk to ya later mom." And you dern well bet I never went in there w/my huntin' clothes on. You think a gut pile smell is hard to get out of your clothes....

I'll take the smell of sulfur any day over that!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

I uesd to run the tar kettle on a flat roofing crew. Sometimes we used pitch, a coal tar derivative. That stuff burns the eyes and the lungs as the fumes are acidic. We once repaired the roof at a dead animal rendering plant. Another time we did a potato chip factory. I chuckle when some "fine ladies" whine about the smell of a cigarette or black powder smoke. Those things actually smell pretty good compared to some of the places I've been. Yep I'd sooner clean a dirty muzzelloader than hang around a hair salon. That stuff reeks.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't clean my guns in the house. I would endup in divorce court for sure, he-he-he. I really don't have to clean them in the house. I have myown little getta way. I have a nice reloading shed (12'x16'). It is my hide out and I love it. I still don't have a coffee pot set up in it yet, but will in the near future. Then itwill be complete.