Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need help with bullet choice

Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM

Default Need help with bullet choice

I shoot a CVA Wolf that came with the Powerbelts. I am looking for some suggestions for a short range bullet. My shots will be at a max of 100 yards. Most probably to 50 yards or so. Any suggestions. I shoot 100 Grn 777 pelletts.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 PM

Default RE: Need help with bullet choice

what grain of powerbelts?

Switch to loose powder and if they are the 245-295 powerbelts, 80 grains of loose powder will be all thats needed.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmboggs74

I shoot a CVA Wolf that came with the Powerbelts. I am looking for some suggestions for a short range bullet. My shots will be at a max of 100 yards. Most probably to 50 yards or so. Any suggestions. I shoot 100 Grn 777 pelletts.
If you live in a state that allows sabots then the possibilites are endless practially. XTP's, Gold Dots, Noslers, shockwaves ect...You can buy in bulk or the Noslers and XTPs come prepackagedw/supplied sabots. The Noslers would be my pick if you don't mind the price. 100g 777 is plenty.

If you must shoot a conical then I suggestNo-Excuses or Bullshops.Probably no needfor more than 90g.

I'm sure others will chime in w/good suggestions as well but those are my suggestions.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I live in NC, so I can shoot anything. I am looking at the Powerbelts, the Hornady SST and XTP or the Knight branded Barnes bullets. My biggest concern is terminal performance on game at shorter yardage. A 100 yard shot woould be a rarity. More like between 30-80.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmboggs74

Thanks for the suggestions. I live in NC, so I can shoot anything. I am looking at the Powerbelts, the Hornady STT and XTP or the Knight branded Barnes bullets. My biggest concern is terminal performance on game at shorter yardage. A 100 yard shot woould be a rarity. More like between 30-80.
Sounds like the area you hunt in NC is exactly what I hunt in VA and TN. 95% of my shots are between 30-50yrds. Every once in a while I shoot from one ridge to the next and get a 75ish yard shot. So I understand your situation. I shoot the XTP MAGs in 300g and they'll knock the snot out of deer at that range. I've never lost a deer w/them and I think the farthest I had one run was about 40 yards. Personally, the only one out of your list I wouldn't hunt with is the Powerbelt. At the distances our shots are they tend to either overexpand or fragment even w/moderate charges. Good luck to ya hope ya find something that shoots well!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

TNHagies,

What powder and charge are you pushing that 300 xtp mag with?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coryj

TNHagies,

What powder and charge are you pushing that 300 xtp mag with?
This year 90g BH 209. Last year, I shot 85g of 777. And for the past I'd say 10 years before that90-100g of Pyrodex RS.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Most of the bullets on the market will work if you put them in the right place. Its not rocket science. Put the bullet in the right place and let it work for you.

If I was going to shoot a Hornady XTP I would try a .430 diameter 300 gr (non magnum) XTP in crushed rib Harvester sabot. They shoot well in my CVA. With 80-100 grains of powder, no deer is going to take that too well.

Other good bullets are the Nosler, Barnes, Buffalo Bullet SSB, Shockwaves. All you can do is get some of the bullets and try them. All of them will do the job.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

XTP. No need for anything more expensive for your purposes.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

dmboggs74

No doubt in my mind the XTP's will work great - but were it me I would use .452/250 grain Speer Gold Dot. They are bonded and will not come a part...

Stay away from the PB's if you can...

Speer Gold Dots...

Quick Reply: Need help with bullet choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.