Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need help with bullet choice

Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help with bullet choice

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

I wish I was still in my 20's instead of late 50's - then I could know it all as well.

Steve
When your young you have the energy, but no time or money since your raising kids, working hard, have only 2 weeks vacation. When your old, ya got the time (5 weeks of vacation)got the money (cause your kids are raised)but little energy, and so range time becomes your substitute for hunting.
Count your blessing and hunt every weekend and every dayya can. Learn all ya can.
Best Wishes,
Chap
Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just remember things get worse as time goes on, I retired in 91 and dont get no holidays and no vacation in fact I have a hard time remembering how I found time to work. Lee
Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

I'm hunting on a lease in Illinois, so I'm doing my own work find stands, setting up and the like. We have 7 members, but there is only 4 gun hunting and I am the only 1 muzzleloader hunting.

In IL, you can hunt with pretty much any muzzleloader, scoped, not scoped, sabots, in-lines, traditionals, whatever .45 cal or larger. The projectile must be .44 cal or larger shot from single or double barrel rifle w/ 16" barrel or larger.

There are three gun seasons: a 3 day shotgun first (you must have a firearmspermit for this one, but you could still shoot muzzleloader in it), a 4 day shotgun or muzzleloader 2nd ( you can have a firearms or muzzleloader permit for this one), and a 3 day muzzleloader only (you must have muzzleloader permit). A full season in IL is 7 days. I opted for the last two seasons (Dec 4-7 and Dec 11-13).
Old 07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: formula1

There are three gun seasons: a 3 day shotgun first (you must have a firearmspermit for this one, but you could still shoot muzzleloader in it), a 4 day shotgun or muzzleloader 2nd ( you can have a firearms or muzzleloader permit for this one), and a 3 day muzzleloader only (you must have muzzleloader permit). A full season in IL is 7 days. I opted for the last two seasons (Dec 4-7 and Dec 11-13).
Is it Dec 11-13 for ML season? Chap
Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

December 11-13 is ML only exceptyou can also archery hunt this year for the first time, but archers have to wear orange.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: formula1

December 11-13 is ML only exceptyou can also archery hunt this year for the first time, but archers have to wear orange.
Gotta look into that, always wanted to hunt the brusers in Pike County. I have a friend who got an archery kill from pike county and it was the most massive rack I have ever seen and he got it with a bow. He bought a farm out there and goes the whole month of November out there. So ya know he loves the place, so it has gotta be good. Another friend's son went on a hunt out there for $1500 and got a 140 class buck again with a bow. Dec 11-13 is a good time since opening week of MLer season is done in Va and NY. Thanks for the info.
Chap

Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

I would be talking to a friend about hunting his property, that is, if he'll allow it. Chances are good that he might since most of his hunting is over by then. Let me know what you find.