Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need help with bullet choice

Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 PM

Default RE: Need help with bullet choice

Sure, tell that to the boys who settled the west,along with the hunters of the east.

Reading is fine, but the true test is when you actually pick up that weapon with a certain projectile and do it your self.

PRB kills just fine for me.

Jesh, Now it looks like i have to start shooting animals with round ball to show that they can kill
Old 07-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Sure, tell that to the boys who settled the west,along with the hunters of the east.

Reading is fine, but the true test is when you actually pick up that weapon with a certain projectile and do it your self.

PRB kills just fine for me.

Jesh, Now it looks like i have to start shooting animals with round ball to show that they can kill
For you it may be fine, but for me no way. I base that on my experience---20 yards shot in the chest cavity coming right at me, boom flop 50 cal ml 177g PRB. Called my brother on the walkie talkie saying I got one, she went right down. Looked over at the deer and it was up on it feet, I had not reloaded, i thought it was dead. I never found the deer, even in fresh snow. No blood trail. So I will never use PRB again in my FL, and if they pass a law in Pa say PRB only, I will not hunt in PA.I now shoot Gold Dot 300g and they are super. Did you see Semi-300g pictures. Wow those long shanks and perfect mushrooms. So I am not talking about American history, I am talkin' huntin'.
Best Wishes,
Chap

Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM

probably because you didnt use the 3 pellet load.

we all have our share of good and bad. look at my luck with powerbelts VS 2 lost deer with maxiballs.

More than likely will be using my new .54 mountain rifle this year on elk.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM

I never found the deer, even in fresh snow. No blood trail
Dang i just caught that.

I guess tracks in snow are hard to follow.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

With no blood trail and a large herd of deer in the area - they certainly can be tough to follow.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 PM

If you watch it run and get an good idea where it went, you can very well have a good chance at finding it. A deer with a bullet through the chest isnt going very far.

Im sure chap did his best at looking for the deer.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

With no blood trail and a large herd of deer in the area - they certainly can be tough to follow.
Exactly what happen, followed the tracks for 1/2 mile. 1 tiny speck of blood maybe ever 200 yards, that the deer went into a thick place where there were hundreds of tracks. I had no idea which track was the deer. Chap
Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

I'm pretty much a novice on ML, but I know my handloaded .450 Marlin 300 grain Nosler Partitions perform excellent in virtually all conditions and ranges (6 yds to 127 yds) on the whitetails I hunt. So I thought, if I have a sabot for that .458 bullet, that should be an awesome hunting load.

With Cayugad and Sabotloaders assistance, they lead me to the orange MMP sabots and recommended 100 grains of T7 2f. I went to the range and never looked back since. I shoot them from a T/C Encore 209x50. They are as accurate as I can be, usually 1-1.5" at 100 yds, with an overlapping hole or twoif I'm really shooting good that day.

Sure Noslers are expensive, but they are worth it. To save $$$$, I will typically go buy a cheaper bullet in 300 gr. to sight in my rifle, then fine tune it with the Noslers. It saves Noslers for the woods as much as possible. I am going to do a ML hunt in Illinois for the first time this year and it will be my bullet of choice.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I was still in my 20's instead of late 50's - then I could know it all as well.

Steve
Old 07-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: formula1

I'm pretty much a novice on ML, but I know my handloaded .450 Marlin 300 grain Nosler Partitions perform excellent in virtually all conditions and ranges (6 yds to 127 yds) on the whitetails I hunt. So I thought, if I have a sabot for that .458 bullet, that should be an awesome hunting load.

With Cayugad and Sabotloaders assistance, they lead me to the orange MMP sabots and recommended 100 grains of T7 2f. I went to the range and never looked back since. I shoot them from a T/C Encore 209x50. They are as accurate as I can be, usually 1-1.5" at 100 yds, with an overlapping hole or twoif I'm really shooting good that day.

Sure Noslers are expensive, but they are worth it. To save $$$$, I will typically go buy a cheaper bullet in 300 gr. to sight in my rifle, then fine tune it with the Noslers. It saves Noslers for the woods as much as possible. I am going to do a ML hunt in Illinois for the first time this year and it will be my bullet of choice.
Amen, you were lead by the best. I would recommend a Crushed Rib sabot with those .458 Nosler bullets, I shot the .452 Crushed ribs with .458 Barnes Origonals and the Barnes .458 TSX FlatNose, bullet number 45843, they are nice and tight, making iginition very good. I predict that they will be thego to bullets for Blackhorn 209 shooters, since the go downpretty nice and are very tight. Remember aim small shoot mall inthe movieThe Patroit, well "the tighter the sabot the tighter the group in general". Glad you settled on the Nosler, is is one of the very very best.
Best Wishes on your Illinois hunt, I was just asking a friend to day about a Pike County hunt hisson went on last year. What are the ML rules in Illinois?
Best Wishes,
Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: Need help with bullet choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.