Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need help with bullet choice

Old 07-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Default RE: Need help with bullet choice

big N slow is the way to go IMO.

Whats going to do more damage, a '76 buick electa traveling 80mph Or a honda civic doing 150?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

big N slow is the way to go IMO.

Whats going to do more damage, a '76 buick electa traveling 80mph Or a honda civic doing 150?
The bumper, the 540g Garrett Hammerhead slaying an elephant with a .45-70:

Old 07-05-2008, 07:24 PM

yep check out the powerbelt website too! Elephants with their huge steel tipped powerbelts. Which by the way is an non expanding bullet
Old 07-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep check out the powerbelt website too! Elephants with their huge steel tipped powerbelts. Which by the way is an non expanding bullet
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/reviews2.asp

Large and slow is the way to go on the above page. Chap
Old 07-05-2008, 07:49 PM

[:'(][:'(][:'(]
"The bear (coastal grizzly) had been hit once with a 375 H&H, but wound not go down. When he turn and started running in the opposite direction I hit him in the rump with the 45-70 at about 120 yards. He went only about 30 yards more before stopping. When we skinned him we found the 420 gr Hammerhead had entered on his right side rump, passing though and destroying the pelvis. I recovered the bullet under the skin beyond the right front shoulder (full length penetration). The bear squared 9'6'' and had a 25 5/8" skull. Amazing penetration!"

That ruined it for me.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Please allow me to hijack for a second......I'm not the most versed on inline bullet selection myself for these things but I do have an accurate combo I just don't know if I'm pushing it too hard?

Is 120grs loose T7going to be pushing a 300gr T/C regular shockwave too hardfor the under 100 (typical 50-75yd) shots I'll see on PA deer? I don't see how it could be realistically, but all your guys' talk of pancackes and fragmenting bullets has me reading too deep into this I think! LOL

I can't see how any deer can hold that much bullet at that velocity or how it could contribute to a possible lost animal but I honestly no not of what I speak........I can only guess?

Would I be better served going to the 300gr bonded version of that bullet?

I know I have yet to have a deer run out of sight with 100grs of regular Goex FFFg black and a 295gr PB hollowpoint from my flintlock even though the bullets I've recovered are pretty banged up too. I do understand that's a pretty hot load for a flinter though but I can't in my mind's eye picture a deer not going butt over tincup with the same weight bullet at a higher velocity.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

100grs of regular Goex FFFg black and a 295gr PB hollowpoint from my flintlock
That load is likely doing around1400 fps (or less)at the muzzle from a flintlock. Sounds like areasonablewhitetail load. Push itmuch faster though, and that soft lead hollowpointhas a good chance of blowing up too much on impact and creating a nasty surface wound with insufficient penetration for a clean kill.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:48 PM

100g ffg with the 295 is fine as long as its the aerotip. i havent tested the HP's with real black powder yet.
You will only benefit from the AT. You can buy them off gun broker for $14.95 a pack + 4.50 shipping and any more bullets you order with that single package, shipping is only $1 per package. I ordered a pack of 295 and a pack of 348s and shipping only cost me 5.50

Would post a pic of the 295 at 100g goex but darn if i cant find the thing. i'll post when i do find it.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

[:'(][:'(][:'(]
"The bear (coastal grizzly) had been hit once with a 375 H&H, but wound not go down. When he turn and started running in the opposite direction I hit him in the rump with the 45-70 at about 120 yards. He went only about 30 yards more before stopping. When we skinned him we found the 420 gr Hammerhead had entered on his right side rump, passing though and destroying the pelvis. I recovered the bullet under the skin beyond the right front shoulder (full length penetration). The bear squared 9'6'' and had a 25 5/8" skull. Amazing penetration!"

That ruined it for me.
What ruined it for you? The fact that they shot it in the rump as it was running away? The other choice was to let it go and die a slow death may unrecoveredor go after it wounded in the tangles, not a very fun thing to do at close range unless you really love adventure. The point of all these stories is bullet penetration of the Garrrett Hammerhead which I believe illustrate your theories of "slow and big is the way to go". I believe they are awsome bullets and the stories are great, especially cape buffalo---Robert Rurick (sp?), "they look at you like you owe them money".
Best Wishes,
Chap
Old 07-06-2008, 12:52 PM

yeah aint nothin like a lethal shot up the ass.

the other choice is to let it go and stalk it for a lethal and respectable shot.

would be nice to know where his first shot hit and what the distance was.

Quick Reply: Need help with bullet choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.