Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need help with bullet choice

Old 07-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help with bullet choice

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Chap, I have trouble seeing the need for those specalized copper bullets on deer all my deer since I started using Gold Dots have been bang Flops, how do you improve on that? But I also believe they do have there place on very large and heavy animals they are the best. Lee
I can't disagree with you Lee. I am shoot some tomorrow with Blackhorn 209 in my Omega. Will see how they do with the Blackhorn. Chap
Old 07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

I have a question:

If you have hunted for let's say 10 years w/someting other than a GD, Barnesor Nosler and have always got pass throughs, never lost a deer and never had deer travel more than 50 yards after the shot, why would you change? Clearly it's working. In my mind that person is going to have complete confidence in that bullet and if they change bullets mid-game is going to cause a loss in confidence.

I like the GD and the Noslers. (No one in my hunting group has ever killed anything w/a Barnes so I can't speak first hand on their performace) But I guess my point is that you don't HAVE TO shoot them to kill deer and kill them quickly and ethically. Yes they preform very well but they are not the be-all end-all of bullets. If what you're saying is true that hunters and not being ethical by using bullets other than the 3 listed above then why is everyone OK with people using round balls?

You should not change, based on your experience. My comments are really directed toward those looking to change bullet (the bullet thread is "Need Help with Bullet Choice".). As for ethics, I explained my bullet selection mindset, this is America, land of the free, your free to do as you see fit based on the variables you think are important, I was just explaining mine (Performance was my king not cost).As for PRB being OK or unethical, for me with my eyesight and age I believe they are not for me, so I can'tuse them any longer (I used them 2 seasons, then Pa changed law and OKed sabots---amen for that). Hope that clears things up for you TBHaggies regarding my logic.
Best Wishes,
Chap
Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 PM

PRB's have done the job for Hundreds of years. No bullet including conicals, sabots have been used longer than the PRB.

And whats eye sight have to do with the projectile being used? If you cant shoot straight, no projectile can help you on that.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

I have a question:

If you have hunted for let's say 10 years w/someting other than a GD, Barnesor Nosler and have always got pass throughs, never lost a deer and never had deer travel more than 50 yards after the shot, why would you change? Clearly it's working. In my mind that person is going to have complete confidence in that bullet and if they change bullets mid-game is going to cause a loss in confidence.

I like the GD and the Noslers. (No one in my hunting group has ever killed anything w/a Barnes so I can't speak first hand on their performace) But I guess my point is that you don't HAVE TO shoot them to kill deer and kill them quickly and ethically. Yes they preform very well but they are not the be-all end-all of bullets. If what you're saying is true that hunters and not being ethical by using bullets other than the 3 listed above then why is everyone OK with people using round balls?

You should not change, based on your experience. My comments are really directed toward those looking to change bullet (the bullet thread is "Need Help with Bullet Choice".). As for ethics, I explained my bullet selection mindset, this is America, land of the free, your free to do as you see fit based on the variables you think are important, I was just explaining mine (Performance was my king not cost).As for PRB being OK or unethical, for me with my eyesight and age I believe they are not for me, so I can'tuse them any longer (I used them 2 seasons, then Pa changed law and OKed sabots---amen for that). Hope that clears things up for you TBHaggies regarding my logic.
Best Wishes,
Chap
Sorry Chap, didn't mean to sound like I was attacking your way of thinking. I just find it very frustrating when people say that their choice is bullet, gun, powder or any other hunting accessory is 'the best' and that everyone should use what they use. Perhaps the tread just struck me wrong this morning (maybe I hadn't had my coffee yet) It's true, the bmboggs74 was asking for suggestions and it kinda turned from that. I guess what I'm saying is that I like it when people give their suggestions and then let the hunter choose for themselves. If I wanted people to tellme whatI should believe, then I'll just watch NBC
Old 07-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess what I'm saying is that I like it when people give their suggestions and then let the hunter choose for themselves. If I wanted people to tellme whatI should believe, then I'll just watch NBC
Right, I agree give them options and what you think best. ABC is better at that!!!
Best Wishes,
Chap
Old 07-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

gordonsville is about an hour maybe hour and half from me, might justfy the gas I pay that for 30pk of tc's "bulk".

gun shops around me are always out of the 100 count bulks of every mfg. of .430, .451, and .452.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

I think it's closer to an hour and a half plus, not sure though. We should plan a range sesson sometime. If there's a range near your house I can pick up a box for you and bring them along. Maybe we can get that new englander figured out for you to use this fall. Let me know what you think.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

closest range to me I beleave is out in west augusta. I'll do an search and see
Old 07-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some states are starting to outlaw lead bullets for some types of hunting is special places. If you fall into that area then the Barnes bullets are about the onlyest choice you have.

Al
Old 07-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

PRB's have done the job for Hundreds of years. No bullet including conicals, sabots have been used longer than the PRB.
FG
There is a great article in the January 08 issue of Guns and Ammo Magazine by Sam Fadala that I think you would like.It is the Sam Fadala who wrote the Black Powder Mling Handbook, anyway the title of the article is" Smackdown! Broad Meplat Bullets in .45-70 persuasion are proving that big and slow is the way to go"--which goes against the grain of most "fast and smaller" to match CF shooting. The article is not online that I could find, but here is a quote from it:

Basically the Bullstop and other conicals with the large flat meplathave great penetration and performance. One of the quotes said "accuracy is king, but penetration is queen", that is a great quote with regard to bullet performance on game. Anyway see if you can get a copy, 'cause itis an excellent read.Best Wishes,
Chap

Quick Reply: Need help with bullet choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.