Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

English Flints Vs. German Agate Flints

Old 06-29-2008, 02:02 PM

Default English Flints Vs. German Agate Flints

Last year I bought my first Flintlock and first ever Blackpowder rifle. I purchased a Lyman Deerstalker and had some ignition issues and spark issues with the flint and frizzen. Although I did eventually get the darn thing to fire, I was pretty darn aggravated. I had tried an old timer trick that my uncle recommended to me. I wrapped the flint in a peice of lead stripI made from a round ball. After that, the rifle started firing pretty flawlessly. Afterabout 50 rounds through the barrel the rifle started to shoot great. But once again my Flint went downhill. I gues this is to be expected with the flintlock but mando i love to shoot this thing.

My Questions are: 1) Should I try English Flints on the rifle or A German Agate Flint since I need to
replace the original that came with the rifle?

2) Would anyone recommend that I put an RMC touch hole liner on the barrel for
better ignition?

I have to tell everyone here that over my years of hunting and just plain shooting, I was really missing something. Shooting the flintlock has made me a much better shooter and I love it. I would just like to improve my igition problem.

I used Hogden Triple 7 FFF powder and GOEX FFFF in the flashpan. THis seemed to work best. I tried patched roundballs but eventually went to Hornady PA Conicals which resulted in 2 1/2 inch groups off hand at 50 yards. Ithought this was good enough since i never shot one before. I just need all the pointers I can get right now.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 06-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Default RE: English Flints Vs. German Agate Flints

Ditch the T7, only real black powder should be used in the bore.

i like the 3/4" Tom Fuller black english flints the best. German agate is good too but i just prefer the TF flint because they have sharp edges and you can knapp them a lot easier.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Finkelhiemer

Last year I bought my first Flintlock and first ever Blackpowder rifle. I purchased a Lyman Deerstalker and had some ignition issues and spark issues with the flint and frizzen. Although I did eventually get the darn thing to fire, I was pretty darn aggravated. I had tried an old timer trick that my uncle recommended to me. I wrapped the flint in a peice of lead stripI made from a round ball. After that, the rifle started firing pretty flawlessly. Afterabout 50 rounds through the barrel the rifle started to shoot great. But once again my Flint went downhill. I gues this is to be expected with the flintlock but mando i love to shoot this thing.

My Questions are: 1) Should I try English Flints on the rifle or A German Agate Flint since I need to

better ignition?

I have to tell everyone here that over my years of hunting and just plain shooting, I was really missing something. Shooting the flintlock has made me a much better shooter and I love it. I would just like to improve my igition problem.

I used Hogden Triple 7 FFF powder and GOEX FFFF in the flashpan. THis seemed to work best. I tried patched roundballs but eventually went to Hornady PA Conicals which resulted in 2 1/2 inch groups off hand at 50 yards. Ithought this was good enough since i never shot one before. I just need all the pointers I can get right now.

Thanks,
Justin
I shoot a TC Flintlock, but everybody I know only shoots real black powder in the FL. 777 is much harder to ignite, hence the hot 209 shotshell primer. I think that is your problem on iginition. I have read that some folks shoot duplex loads of 10g of Goex in the bottom and then 70, 80 or90g of 777 and that works. As for the RMC touchhole, I think they are better because they are easier to get out (allen wrench instead of a screw driver which can strip) and a bit bigger hole. This site has a lot of good info on FL shooting:

http://www.americanlongrifles.com/

http://members.aol.com/illinewek/faqs/tuning.htm

I also got a copy of this book:

The Complete Rehabilitation of the Flintlock Rifle
on ebay for like $5. Great book.

Best Wishes,
Chap Gleason

Old 06-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Answer to question #1 - Yes. Answer to question #2 - Yes.

I'm surprised you're getting reliable ignition with T7. But, if it works for you (i.e. goes off every time with no ignition delay) then go for it. I've used only GOEX in my Great Plains - FFFg in the bore and the pan. I alsohave an RMCvent liner, andhave yet to have a misfire. I've had the pan fail to flash a few times, but if the pan flashes the gun goes boom. My longest flint life with Fuller black English flints is a little over 80 shots. Average is something between 40 and60.Might have to try T7 just for grins.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Finkelhiemer

better ignition?

Thanks,
Justin
Justin ... in my Lyman Trade Rifle I use a RMC touch hole liner and it really helped in the ignition and lock time. I would strongly recommend getting one with the Allen head style...

The Black English Flints work great. But some will give you twenty shots, others might give you 50 or more. The German Agates also work real good but can not be knapped. My Lyman came with an agate and I must have got over 50 shots off that before it went bad. I wish I had counted, because I shot three sessions and normally shoot 20 rounds a session... before that agate went bad. I also tried the French Amber flints. While they worked real good, I did not find the extra expense of them worth the money. The Thomas Fuller Black English Flints work fine for me.

For the best ignition use pure black powder. Actually you can shoot 3f in the main charge and the pan. If you do want to stick with the Triple Se7en powder, try a duplex load. Drop about 10 grains of black powder down the barrel first, tap the rifle on your toe to level the load (and fill the touch hole) and then put in your Triple Se7en. You will see a much faster and more positive ignition with the rifle..

It sounds like you have the rifle and the accuracy down well. Now it is a matter of trial and error of different things. Good luck and I don't have to even guess how much fun you are having. Flintlocks are a lot of fun.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:15 PM

Hey thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback. I will take the T7 thing under advisement. I will say this was the only thing available last year around the time i bought the rifle. I tried five or six different places to find either Swiss or GOEX powder for the bore. I will say that even my father in law who hunts uses the T7 and he has never said anything about ignition problems. But hey, if they have the real stuff i will make sure I check it out.

FG have you or Semisane ever tried the T7? Did you have the same problem using this powder?

As far as the flints, when I get home I will make sure I take a trip to Dixon's ML Shop and pick up as many flints as i can.

Hey once again, thank you very much.

Chap, I will Definitely check the resources you left for me. Thanks!

Justin
Old 06-29-2008, 03:29 PM

yes, i have tried t7 in a flinter and it was horrible, especially with patched round balls. if you can get goex, use that in your barrel. I suggest 3f as the fouling is a lot easier to push through.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

I found 777 hard to ignite in a .54 percusion Renegade with #11 mags and no better than real FFG at cleanup time.I'd save it for the inlines..............Harold
Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Typical Buck

Someone on THRrecently finished their Lyman GPR kit and this was posted about how to solveits poor ignition problem:

1st time out, main charge fired on first attempt about 3 times out of 10. Took rifle home, cleaned and drilled out vent to 1/16". 2nd time out, main charge fired on first attempt about 8 times out of 10. Took it home and drilled the vent to 0.070" (#50 bit). 3rd time out will be in a couple of days. I expect that ignition will be 100% then....
This wasin response:

You can safely take it out to 5/64" (0.0781), but if that #50 works, stop there. Most people are stopping at #51.

The GPR has a patent breech, so be sure you thoroughly clean each time; I remove the vent liner each time I clean just to make sure the patent breech crud accumulation has someplace to exit. If, over time, you start having ignition problems again, it's likely because the patent breech needs to be cleaned out. Remove the vent liner and use a small (approx .32 cal) copper/nylon brush and your favorite cleaning solvent; you can see if the brush is entering the patent breech by looking in the touch hole when the vent liner is removed. If you don't see the brush tip, use a smaller diameter brush.

[/align]
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=367339&highlight=kit%2A
Old 06-30-2008, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the post, great info for any FL really. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: English Flints Vs. German Agate Flints

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.