Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TWO new rifles in one day

Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 PM

Default TWO new rifles in one day

Ok, traded off the GPR for an SS/ Rosewood Laminated Thumbhole TC Omega. Then i went and bought a .54cal CVA Big Bore Mountain rifle off Spitpatch. This one has a Curly Maple stock!

Heres the Omega,

And heres the big bore,

I didnt want to sell the GPR and settle on a .50 so i held out and spitpatch got back to me with a thumbs up and i am really going to be happy with this .54 for quite a while. Now i dont have to worry about having Goex on hand.

What'cha guys think of that Omega? Im going to try an assortment of Powerbelts and then have it send to TC and have the QLA removed.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: TWO new rifles in one day

The Omega is a nice looking rifle. Looks like a heck of a sabot shooter you got there... I would leave it as is, and then hunt modern seasons with it and sabots, and use the other for your black powder hunts...

and they think I am a compulsive buyer...
Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 PM

Hey, I couldn't pass it up! I figure if it doesnt shoot powerbelts or conicals well, i'll have the QLA knocked off. Actually, i was thinking of having it cut down, but leave a 3/8" QLA like cva/traditions does and see what kind of accuracy it gets with conicals.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope your mileage differs, but my Omega don't shoot PowerBelts worth a hoot.

It really likes PR Dead Centers and Noslers (.451 300 gr) and does well with the .458 / 300 gr Noslers (still working on them).

I almost PM'd you on that 54. whew.... survived that one. lol
Old 06-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you really think the QLA affects accuracy???? I'm thinking in Army terms and flash eliminators. They don't contact the projectile on firing so how can it affect it's accuracy, other than barrel harmonics?
I've shot sub 1" 3 shot group with my Omega. It may be the projectile and not the rifle (and it's QLA) that is messing up it's accuracy.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 PM

You're shooting sabots, i have to shoot conicals and i need that QLA off if it doesnt shoot well with them. But like i said, i plan on testing this QLA out and then have it cut back to 3/8" QLA. This seems the problem with TC. TC says they were designed for sabots but the ONLY thing different on their barrels VS every one elses is their huge QLA thats way over sized.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought you were getting away from the modern inlines? Look like a nice rifle though!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:41 PM

I am. I figure someone out there will have a nice sidelock to trade off one of these days. It was just a good deal that i could not pass up. That rosewood stock is what did it for me.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:05 PM

TC ships on saturday!! Cant wait to get it!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man that stock on that Omega is PURRRDY! I think I'd leave the Omega as is and shoot sabots out of it for "rifle" season and then use one of your sidelocks for ML season. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: TWO new rifles in one day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.