Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Master Hunter II Breech Plug/Conversion

Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knight Master Hunter II Breech Plug/Conversion

Just got off the phone with Knight. I can't use the breech plug unless I first buy the $100 conversion kit to the red primer sealer. What a byatch!

Guess I'll be buying the standard breech plug. $30 breech plug if you can believe that. That's with shipping of course.

Tom
Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, I thought all the master hunters already used the red disc. Yours must use the orange one. Do you know what year that gun was made? I'm pretty sure you can find conversions for less than $100 if that is the direction you want to go.
I don't have any idea how the BH 209 would shoot with the older discs.
In regard to the crud ring, I shoot loose 777 and I get somewhat of a crud ring but it is manageable. I just put a bit of alchohol on a patch and swab the barrel, then a dry patch and I'm good to go. I use a cooler primer (Winchester 777) and I think that helps. Also I think you get less of a crud ring with the loose 777 then you get with the pellets.
Good Luck, Art
Old 06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It won't fit if you Master Hunter uses the orange discs. It's designed to eliminate the red FPJs.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: flounder33

Sorry, I thought all the master hunters already used the red disc. Yours must use the orange one. Do you know what year that gun was made? I'm pretty sure you can find conversions for less than $100 if that is the direction you want to go.
I don't have any idea how the BH 209 would shoot with the older discs.
In regard to the crud ring, I shoot loose 777 and I get somewhat of a crud ring but it is manageable. I just put a bit of alchohol on a patch and swab the barrel, then a dry patch and I'm good to go. I use a cooler primer (Winchester 777) and I think that helps. Also I think you get less of a crud ring with the loose 777 then you get with the pellets.
Good Luck, Art
At $30 for the a breech plug I would consider a well priced conversion kit. The cheapest I've found is $100. Do you know of a better place to look?

Tom
Old 06-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Midsouth sells the conversion to red primer carriersfor I think $87, that would include the breech plug. So that would get you up to the red primers but, unfortunately, you would still have to buy the NFP jacket kit if you wanted to shoot without the primer carriers. Maybe you should just buy the disc extreme that Underclocked is selling. then you would have it all. lol
I am still surprised that they made a Master Hunter that uses the orange primer carriers. They must have come out before the disc extremes. Is the gun a good shooter? I think if it was mine I would just keep shooting it with the orange discs because I doubt if you will gain a lot with all the expense of these conversions.
Art
Old 06-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Knight customer service is dern good. They might swap bolts then you would just need the Midsouth non-FPJ conversion.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've called them a couple of times on this issue and as of yet they've not offered to exchange the bolts. That would be amazing it they'd do that for me. I'm not holding my breath.

I want to say that my Master Hunter is probably about 8 years old now. I'm in that mid-old range where I can still remember what I've done just can't remember when I done it. LOL

Tom