Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

comparson: powerbelt and xtps

Old 06-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: comparson: powerbelt and xtps

ORIGINAL: WOODTICK49

Chap
I'd shed my jacket too if somebody shot me into a rock pile.joking aside I get good results out of
.451 200 grain XTP,s with 80 or 90 grains of goex.
Yes, I am sure you would at that load, that sounds about perfect for that bullet. Not too fast, just right. Chap
Old 06-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WOODTICK49

Chap
I'd shed my jacket too if somebody shot me into a rock pile.joking aside I get good results out of
.451 200 grain XTP,s with 80 or 90 grains of goex.
Yes, I am sure you would at that load, that sounds about perfect for that bullet. Not too fast, just right. Chap
Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

</opinion>
If your shooting hundreds of bullets a year, go with the XTP or a speer gold dot. If you only shooting a box a year, spendabout doubleand get eitherNosler Partitions or Barnes MZ, TMZ.
</end opinion>
Best wishes on this important hunting decision (choosing the right bullet for the job),
Chap
Chapman's Opinion

Agreed. Push XTP's or PB's too hard they are not performing to the "Public's"expectations. The Mfr's post info as shown by Chapman and FG stating "preferred velocity / loads". Most are quite low.

Now the question comes down to dollars and "sense". The best performing bullets over a wide range of velocities seem to be Partitions,Solid Copper or Bonded Bullets. If you wish to push them hard, with the higher velocities, well you need to spend some coin on a good bullet.

Keep the cheap crap for the range and plinking. Spend the coin on the good stuff for hunting. IMHOOur game deserve no less.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

WE have had good luck with both the 300 grain XTP and XTP mag . I use the 300 XTP for deer and the 300 XTP Mag for Elk . The Elk my son and friend shot 90and 140 yards had complete pass through as did my Buck i shot at 70 yards. I used 100 grains of phrodex , but will use 95 grains of BH 209 this year .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Muzzle%20loaders/jared.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Muzzle%20loaders/firstmuzzleloaderdeer.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Muzzle%20loaders/DSCN0005.jpg
Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 AM
Spike

Hey guys,
Has anyone tried the Hornady .44cal 265g, FP. It is actually designed / developed for the .444 rifle cartridge with a velocity range upwards of ~ 2200 fps??? I'm trying this bullet with 120g T7 and a crush-rib sabot out of my KRB. Still in the work up stage, but it looks promising.

James
Old 06-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

Chapman's Opinion

Agreed. Push XTP's or PB's too hard they are not performing to the "Public's"expectations. The Mfr's post info as shown by Chapman and FG stating "preferred velocity / loads". Most are quite low.

Now the question comes down to dollars and "sense". The best performing bullets over a wide range of velocities seem to be Partitions,Solid Copper or Bonded Bullets. If you wish to push them hard, with the higher velocities, well you need to spend some coin on a good bullet.

Keep the cheap crap for the range and plinking. Spend the coin on the good stuff for hunting. IMHOOur game deserve no less.

Amen. If you look at how Nosler packages the "Jim Shockey" branded 250 Noslers, they are packaged with 15 Nosler Partitions and 15 of something else that flys the same for sight in. So the cheap stuff for plinking and sight in, then switch over to the strong stuff for hunting.

Regards, Chap