Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pennsylvania Hunter

Old 06-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Pennsylvania Hunter

Today I decided to shoot my .50 caliber Pennsylvania Hunter with the 32 inch barrel. I was shooting Hornady Roundball and 100 grains of Pyrodex and I also shot 100 grains of Goex 2f. They shot the same. I was using a new lube I made up and was kind of pleased with it. I had the same pillow tick patch and cut them at the muzzle.

The large buckhorn style sights on this rifle are easy to see and line up. If I held true on that red dot, it just kept sliding them to the right a little. So I finally made a sight adjustment and it looks like it was about right to me. The trouble is it kept knocking off that red sticker.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pennsylvania Hunter

Old 06-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shootin Dave
Pretty gun as well
Old 06-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I got that rifle cheap. And the first time I shot it, I wondered why on earth anyone would have sold that rifle. It was a shooter right from the start, but it does like a strong charge to it.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK. Good shooting. Very nice gun. Now tell us about the new lube.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Today I decided to shoot my .50 caliber Pennsylvania Hunter with the 32 inch barrel. I was shooting Hornady Roundball and 100 grains of Pyrodex and I also shot 100 grains of Goex 2f. They shot the same. I was using a new lube I made up and was kind of pleased with it. I had the same pillow tick patch and cut them at the muzzle.

The large buckhorn style sights on this rifle are easy to see and line up. If I held true on that red dot, it just kept sliding them to the right a little. So I finally made a sight adjustment and it looks like it was about right to me. The trouble is it kept knocking off that red sticker.
Beautiful and excellent shooter, you got a very good deal. Chap
Old 06-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting! Looks like a nice rifle...
Old 06-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

The new lube was made from castor oil and Alox.

I purchase 4 ounce bottles of Castor Oil at Wal Mart in the pharmacy section. I then take some solid Alox and cut off 100 grains of it. I guess you could use liquid Alox as well. I will have to try that.

I put The Alox and once ounce of bees waxin a microwave bowl like the cheap Glad microwave dishes you can buy for storing things. Then microwave the Alox and bees wax together until they turn into a liquid. Then add the four ounces of castor oil and stir it all together. Let it set up for about a half an hour and you are all set.

It sat out in the hot sun today and never broke down, yet I could rub the patch cloth on it, and get a nice coating of the lube on the patch. I am going to use it to lube some conicals next.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

WOW !!!! That is some good shooting with open sights !!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting Dave. I like those PA Hunters. My friend had one in flint and it shot well too. Glad you liked your homemade lube.
I wish I could find some beeswax. I've called several places on the net and they won't have any til around October. I guess that is when they collect the honey. And there are no bee keepers around here. All I need is a couple ounces. The premanufactured lube melts off in this weather. I had some lubed with the Cabela's natural lube when I went out last week and had them on my tailgate. In 15 mins the lube had melted off of them.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania Hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.