Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Disc with a Nikon Pro Staff

Old 06-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Knight Disc with a Nikon Pro Staff

Ilooked over the rack today and decided I had not shot my Knight Disc rifle in a while. In fact I could not remember the last time I shot it. So I took it to the bench which was at the 100 yard line and started to prepare the rifle for a good shooting session. It was then I remembered, I had not shot the rifle since I changed out the scope to the new Nikon Pro Staff in 2-7x32mm. I was about to move the whole works up to the 50 yard line, but figured, I had bore sighted it in the house in the usual manner so we would see how close I was to the bulls eye.

The first two shots hit far right, so I made some clicks and swabbed the bore clean. I then fired a five shot group to make sure the scope POI had moved and it liked the load. I was swabbing between each of those shots to make sure the rifle and I were honest. I was very happy with that group.

I then made one last adjustment and shot two more for effect. That bulls eye by the way is 3/4 of an inch in diameter. I could see it plain as day on 7x with the Nikon. It was more of a matter of me holding still. So I knew the scope was on. And on the same shooting stand was a target that had caused me grief a few days back.

If you remember I had posted about shooting 100 yards at the bottom of a coffee can taped to a box and how I sprayed all over the target. Well the spray was marked in blue ink. I then let the Knight do the talking...

I had cut the load back to 90 grains to see if it made any difference in the accuray. That coffee can bottom was having a bad day when it faced the Knight. Amazing what a little optics can do to make you feel good about a target....
Old 06-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Knight Disc with a Nikon Pro Staff

that's what the Nikon Pro Staff looks like on my Knight Disc. With the camo stock and scope it is a pretty sharp looking outfit. Also today I noticed little to no blow back with this rifle. I want to get my hands on some of the Black Horn 209 and try that with this rifle...
Old 06-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Dave that is some great shooting their its amazing how a gun reacts to differant powder charges and or differant bullets, keep the powder charge at a resonable load and they shoot great start to try going supersonic and they go haywire. but that is a great range session AWSOME !

Ron
Old 06-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ya` gotta love that group Cayugad. I checked my Mustang records for 300 grain bullets/90 grain RS loads and found I have not shot the Gold Dots with that load.The closest I have to that load is 90 grains RS/300 grain SST. It gave me a five shot chrono average of 1558 fps. I have a target with 300 grain Gold Dots/90 grains T-7 that averaged 1698 fps in crush rib sabots.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:57 PM

Cayugad. great shooting, and great report as always. That's fine looking set-up!
Old 06-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice looking set up there. nice shooting too.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Dave, Really nice shooting!!!!! Nice to walk away from a session like that and hold your head high.
Kinda makes you feel good all day just thinkin about it !!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Well after my last outing with open sights, I tell you what.. I was really discouraged. I sprayed that coffee can and cardboard all over the place shooting open sights. I was going to shoot open sights on a rifle today.I bought it a while ago, but have not shot yet, a little CVA Tracker carbine. Then I saw that Disc sitting there and knew it would make me feel good to go out and shoot a gun that always shoots flawless.

They can say what they want about the break open and drop block model inlines.. that Knight Disc is hard to beat. It might take a little longer to clean, but it is a solid and dependable muzzleloader.

The little CVA, I actually have two of them. My nephew and niece are coming to visit from Indiana, and I thought I would let them break the guns in and then give the riflesto them to take home. (That way one does not have something better then the other. You know how kids are.) That should make my brother in law wild. He is not to fond of guns.. Not too fond of me come to think about it...
Old 06-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

I know what you mean about inlaws, I've been threating to give my nephews b,b guns for christmas for a couple years now, Boy do I get a dirty look !!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've only got one inline, also a Knight Disc, with the 22 inch barrel and a 3x9x40 VX-II Leupold on it...It does all that you ask for, and more...Don't really see the need for another...Good trigger, accurate and I actually like the disc system, it keeps you from fumbling with the 209s or caps...