Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex P

Old 05-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Pyrodex P

Well I don't think I will ever have to worry about pitting. I get accused of treating my MLs better than my wife. They get a nice hot bath as soon as I get home. And that's after a good cleaning at the range with T/C #13 cleaner.
I went to Cabela's today and picked up two canisters of CCI#11 Mag caps. They didn't have any Pyro P but no matter, I ordered some at my local gun shop along with some Hot Shot nipples.
I think you guys may have solved my problem anyway cause it never dawned on me to tap the rifle to get some powder into the snail. That's what I get for starting to shoot perc. rifles. I am too used to flinters.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Shame on you for doing this to your flinter! You should be ashamed of your self.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader, That makes it the closest thing to black there is. Lee
Old 05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

Yup! I have tried shooting several times in different guns(RS) and just can not come to peace with it. I much prefer shooting T7, but the Rende guys told me I probably would not have time to swab after each shot so I was going to need use smething else. Ended up buying a bottle of RS here locally but it just did not preform as well as I expected - so then I bought some JSG-3f and it worked real well - except it is really short on power. On to the next purchase - I ended up buying 5 cans of GOEX-3f - now that worked really well after I got all the oil out of the barrel... it sure was gummy for the first few shots even though I dry swabbed the barrel... but I think I have got it figured out now (real BP)

Tried to give the RS away while I was at Rende - no takers...

I know it works for a lot of people, but so far nothing really beats T7 for me.Climate up here must be just right...

Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader, Things should get more interesting around here next week I have a case of BH209 due about Wed.
I used up that free can some time a go but had trouble getting some for a good price. lee

Old 05-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have used pyrodex for years without a problem.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pretty much use 3F exclusively in my sidelocks due to ignition problems with the coarser 2F. I find I get more reliable and quicker ingnition with the 3F. I have mostly used pyro P but also like Goex. In my testing I found that P gives very close velocities to 777 2F, usually within about 50fps or less. I also use P in both of my son's inlines due to crud ring issues with 777 in those guns.

One other thought about your misfires, I find I have more misfires with my sidelocks when I swab between shots. When shooting PRB I just shoot and then load, the patch swabs the barrel as it goes down and I get decent accuracy that way. It probably would shoot a bit tighter if I swabbed but I don't shoot for competition, just for fun and hunting. I would rather have confidence in it going off than a tiny bit more accuracy.