Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Renegade's Last Chance

Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default The Renegade's Last Chance

Hey guys, remember my post "Disappointing Day With The Renegade"? http://www.huntingnet.com//forum/tm.aspx?m=2736181

Well, I just got around to working the bore over with Naval Jelly and then oiled 0000 steel wool. I don't know how much you'll be able to tell from the picture below.I put a greenStreamlight flashlight down the barrel, and tookthe picture. The bright spots are pits in the bore. It's pitted like that the full circumference of the bore and for about three or four inches down from the muzzle. Past that it looks much better - some light pits but nothing severe.

Anyway, after the naval jelly/steel wool treatment, a very tight patch on the cleaning jag slides quite smoothly up and down the bore without any rough feeling. Before the treatment I could distinctly feel the roughness and a tight spot near the muzzle.

So, this week-end I'll be shooting the same loads noted in my first post. Any predictions???

If I don't have significant improvement, the next step will be to lop off the barrel just behind the forward ramrod thimble.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Default RE: The Renegade's Last Chance

Me think'ith you'd be better off with a new barrel

Its a shame how people treat these rifles aint it?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am trying to bring a old rusted out Renegade barrel back to life as well. I am using a Lee REAL bullet. I am having very good luck with it, but the barrel fouls quickly. I shot 6 shots at 50 yards using a over powder wad. I got all 6 shots to shoot under 3" at 50 yards with a 80 grains of Pyordex P
Speed was 1450. Ron
Old 04-16-2008, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Hey guys, remember my post "Disappointing Day With The Renegade"? http://www.huntingnet.com//forum/tm.aspx?m=2736181

Well, I just got around to working the bore over with Naval Jelly and then oiled 0000 steel wool. I don't know how much you'll be able to tell from the picture below.I put a greenStreamlight flashlight down the barrel, and tookthe picture. The bright spots are pits in the bore. It's pitted like that the full circumference of the bore and for about three or four inches down from the muzzle. Past that it looks much better - some light pits but nothing severe.

Anyway, after the naval jelly/steel wool treatment, a very tight patch on the cleaning jag slides quite smoothly up and down the bore without any rough feeling. Before the treatment I could distinctly feel the roughness and a tight spot near the muzzle.

So, this week-end I'll be shooting the same loads noted in my first post. Any predictions???

If I don't have significant improvement, the next step will be to lop off the barrel just behind the forward ramrod thimble.
Ithink you will have good accuracy, because it is "smooth", not rough. However if it is not accurate enough for you, then cut it down to 21" and have a carbine, like they were selling at Green Mountain.
There is an article over on the Savage board on how to lead an old barrel, that may work for you also.
I will look it up for you.
Chap
Old 04-16-2008, 05:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semi, I mentioned on your earlier post on making a lead plug and lapping the barrel. I hope you didn't damage the good rifling in the barrel. Anyway, if you won't shoot for you and you want to get rid of it, pm me and maybeI'll buy it off you if the price is right.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck with the rifle... it should shoot good. or at least we hope so
Old 04-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

We all have our fingers crossed - hope it shoot good.