Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade...New Englander?

Old 04-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Spike

Default Renegade...New Englander?

Whats the differences (besides barrel shape) between the Thompson Center Renegade and New Englander? Which is worth more ? Thanks
Old 04-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Renegade...New Englander?

Well, the stock shape is different. Renegades have a slightly longer forearm, and a higher & longer combe. Many Renegades (earlier models) have double set triggers. So far as I know, all New Englanders have a single trigger. Trigger guard on the R is elongated with finger loops. The NE guard is round and roomy with no loops. They have the same steel buttplates. Breechplug styling is a little different, as is the shape of the front sights. There are probably other differences I can't recall at the moment. They are probably about equal as far as accuracy goes. Condition being equal, the Renegade would likely be worth about $50 more. (Any of the above statements may be erroneous.)
Old 04-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Also with the Renegade, you can get some very high quality drop in barrels for them. The New Englander takes a New Englander barrel. I have both rifles you mention and they are both good shooters. The Renegade is probably worth more money in the long run. Also the Renegade is 1 inch on the flats and the New Englander is 15/16th on the flats.

As mentioned, the Renegade has double triggers. The Renegade Hunter has a single trigger. The New Englander has a single trigger. Both are meat and potatoes rifles. They are made to hunt with and they do their job very well.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Spike

Thanks alot guys...that what I needed to know!