Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What a difference an "F" makes!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default What a difference an "F" makes!

As most of u-all know I ain't much of a PRB shooter, but to get in on some of the traditional shooting that goes on in this area - I really want to learn. I have made 4 or five feeble attempts to get this going.

Well, today was my best day so far... It is also myfourth attempt at a different powder. My first attempt was with T7, which for the most part shot really well but I had to keep the sharge way down to keep from burning the patch... + the old timers said I probably would be able to use it - if I needed to patch between shots at the shoots... So next came Pyro RS. I know a lt of people are very successful with it but I have never liked it - so with that mind set it did not work that weel for me. On to Jim Shockey Gold - a friend gave me some 2f to try - that stuff was gravel and I ended up with hang fires most of the time. I did like the condition of the bore afterwards though. So I bought a jug of JSG-3f for today - that stuff worked very well... I do wish it was a bit finer though...

Any way headed out to a new shooting are for me. One of the kids I coached way back in the day has a wheat farm just outside of town and has given me permission to shoot there. Price of gas forces me to find a place closer. I set the target a 50 yards and started shooting - I thought I got a very nice group... moved the target to 75 yards - shot another 3 shot group and I had not been so stuck on myself and "how good I could shoot" #3 would have been a better shot - but it was OK... These were the best PRB - groups I have ever shot...

After shooting these I gave on paper and decided to shoot clay pigeons - I really like breaking/hitting things and seeing the results... So I sent the bigger part of the shooting time placeing pigeons at different ranges for 25 to 75 yards and then picking them off. I am still not that good though a couple of the birds I had to shoot more than once - but by the end of the day I was learning to make the neccessary sight picture adjustments for the different ranges.

Got to clean my gun and a gun that my student had.... he watched me shoot for awhile and said he had a gun just like I was shooting that he had bought from a farmer when he was in high school. Said he had shot it once or twice in the 10 years he had it. I questioned him a little more about the gun - i wanted to know if it was a Renegade or a Hawken - so he went in and got it....It was a 54 cal Renegade (4 digit) serial number in near mint condition... with a tang peep sight and globe front sight.... Boy! did I fondle that gun... Next he said sell for $70 bucks - I never use it...

Here is today's target...

Old 04-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What a difference an "F" makes!

Here is a picture of the other 54 Renegade...

Old 04-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a good day. Go with one gun comeback with two. Are you gonna try the JSG FFF with some sabots. Just curious If its worth a try.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very respectable groups. The other Renegade is nice too.. And I adore your sewing machine..........
Old 04-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

Ya! that dang sewing machine gets in the way a lot of times.... that is suppose to be a work bench for me... but,! I am not saying a word about it... other than maybe "honey, are you about done sewing" or something along those lines...

Just finished cleaning the barrel of the second Renegade - the bore was really rusty - seems like mostly surface rust - see no pitting and the lands a really sharp... it only takes a couple of passes and they will cut a patch. Dropped a bore light in and looks OK now and it is a 1/48 - thought it might be a 1/66.

I am going to try to shoot it next week and see how it shoots - probably shoot a couple of patches lubed with JB to finish polishing the bore.

I did not buy it from him yet... told him I would like to shoot it first - but I will have to pay him more than $70 - couldn't do that to one of my former students - student athletes - I would like to trade him either a Trade rifle or A&H inline for it... he might go for the inline - now that they are legal in Idaho again...

The best part was not making holes in the paper - but hitting the clay pigeons... they really break up when it with a slow moving 54 cal round ball...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

burntmuch

Are you gonna try the JSG FFF with some sabots.
Probably not... but I think it would work OK especially in an inline - but I think it would be a bit underpowered as compared to T7...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry about all of the bad luck, Sabotloader. First, you find a place to shoot closer to your house. That really sucks. Then you hit upon a powder that groups balls into one-inch at 50 yards - can't even get 1/4" groups. Then a guy forces an old rifle on you that youfor a ridiculous price, and gives you the opportunity to shoot it before you decide. Man, you just can't seem to catch a break.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

Well,?? He was a student of mine and I taught him all he knows about baseball... course he a nice guy on top of that + he runs the local Lenox Heating and Cooling place from which I bought my furnace - AC unit - gas fireplace +++ he and his brothers run the family wheat farm/ranch a bigone- which is known to have very nice bucks on it in the fall and even an occasional elk or two - not to mention a lot of pheasents - but I am not a bird hunter so they do not count...

See it is important "who you know"

And now that you put it that way it was a pretty good day... except the barrel on that new 54 is really dirty - I am still working onit,and the wind blew across my shooting draw all day.... and it is gonna rain tomorrow and Tuesday... so there is some "Corey" luck in their also.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Uh-Oh! New forum term - "Corey Luck" - To be used only when something goes really wrong - like supergluing your fingers together. (Don't blame me Corey, blame Sabotloader.)

Quick Reply: What a difference an "F" makes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.