Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What a difference an "F" makes!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What a difference an "F" makes!

Well that is some impressive shooting there.. The Renegade probably has a 1-48 twist. Most of them did. I have shot years ago, Clean Shot powder out of my traditional rifles... and it worked real good with patched ball. As for the power of that load, no deer would take a hit from that roundball...

That is a heck of a deal on that rifle....
Old 04-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

OK - Dave I wondered about that... I am dead ignorant when it comes to PRB's. But what really made wonder - was I was shoot up a long gentle draw - I was plowed and disked last season but has not been planted with spring wheat yet... but the balls would travel through the plywood target and then skip, like a rock across water, up the draw... They easily went 100+ yards - maybe even more - I really did not expect them to have that much energy....

What does a .530 ball weigh? I guess I could get a scale out and measure it but I really have no ideal...

That is a heck of a deal on that rifle....
I know, I know, I just wish it was somebody I did not know or at least was not one of "my kids" I could never just give him $70 and walk away - it would haunt me forever... But the barrel is really dirty...

OK - Tang peep sight... I am looking at it trying to figure out how to adjust elevation... There is a circular locking nut at the bottom of the post and on top of the tang... If I loosen that, I imagine I can turn the sight assembly in or out to change elevation - but doing so turns the whole sight... how do I raise or lower post butyet keep the peep straight forward??? Does any of this make any sense?

miek
Old 04-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Dominant Buck

223 gains I believe they weigh. As for energy, they have a lot more then people might expect. That is one reason I like that caliber.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:12 PM

My Lee mold throws a 224g ball, You'll find a lot of different weights. I've seen 225,228,230 grain .530's.

Just depends on the maker.

You're lucky those were skipping away from you. I had a .44 6 shot revolver that would bounce off 2x4's and come back AT you!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know, I know, I just wish it was somebody I did not know or at least was not one of "my kids" I could never just give him $70 and walk away - it would haunt me forever... But the barrel is really dirty...
I understand how you feel. The thing is -you've got options. If the bore cleans up real well, and it shoots as it should, double his asking price and give him $140. You will still have a good deal and will have done right by one of your friends. If it won't shoot as it should, give him the $70 and don't feel bad. A new barrel will cost you another $150 or more, and you will have $220 or a little more in the gun. Not a bad deal, but not a steal either.

OK - Tang peep sight... I am looking at it trying to figure out how to adjust elevation... There is a circular locking nut at the bottom of the post and on top of the tang... If I loosen that, I imagine I can turn the sight assembly in or out to change elevation - but doing so turns the whole sight... how do I raise or lower post butyet keep the peep straight forward??? Does any of this make any sense?
Yep! That's the way they work. Loosen the stop nut, screw the sight in or out one revolution at a time to change the height, and lock itdown when you get it where you want it.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

Those are good options...

Yep! That's the way they work. Loosen the stop nut, screw the sight in or out one revolution at a time to change the height, and lock itdown when you get it where you want it.
OK that what it looked like to me - but I was just wondering...

Can you tell from the pic - who made these? I am wondering about other inserts for the front globe..

I can get a better pic if that would help... On the front you un-screw the back of the hood and the insert comes out...

thanks - mike
Old 04-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Can you tell from the pic - who made these? I am wondering about other inserts for the front globe..
Can't tell from the picture, and probably would not be able to tell with a better picture (at least not me - maybe someone else could).
Odds are it's either a Williams or a Lyman. I've heard the inserts are interchageable for those two, but don't know that for a fact. You might go the the MidwayUSA website and look at the pictures of the globe sights and see if you can match them up.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey now, this is what I get for playing on the xbox all day. get new terms named after me, not the first time probly won't be the last.

good shooting there, gotta see how my week goes, see if I get to the range and get the new englander out. still have not got it shooting from me.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

hey now, this is what I get for playing on the xbox all day.
Serves you right. Getoff the Xbox and get a job, dang it!!!! Only us old worn out retired guys have the privledge of goofing off all day.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

working on it. places don't hire on saturday and sunday.

hell, I should went to the range today

Quick Reply: What a difference an "F" makes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.