Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

'Nother PRB trip to the Rock Pit

Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default 'Nother PRB trip to the Rock Pit

I guess things are going better but I am still a long ways off...

I could not get any more elevation with sights that I have on - so I am going to replace the front sight with a lower bead...

I really do not like Pyro, so I have come up with a bottle of Jim Shockey Gold 2f - that stuff is like gravel. It caused a hang fire almost each time I shot it...

OK - the first 6 shots at 50 yards with JSG - looked promising - a whole lot better than the last trip. Rounded up the patches as they were lying on top of the snow. They looked excellent. I am going to say, for the lack of a better excuse, the hang-fires helped create the spread of those 6 round balls.

The hang fires became frustrating so I switched back to Pyro RS... 70 grains as I was shooting the JSG. No hang fires they shot very well. I was surprised the group moved low/left - but at least you can call it a group.

I then moved the target to 75 yards and the first two shots were with 90 grains of Pyro (it says 80 0n the target but it was definenitly 90)- I was hoping to compensate elevation with velocity. OK shot #1 with the Pyro low/left as it probably should be going from the 50 yard target.... Shot #2 low/right clear across the target!!!! that really bugged me. But when I looked out on the snow both of those patches were burnt very badly. Probably explains the spread.

So, back to the JSG and I moved back down to 80 grains. Shot #1 low/left OK - shot #2 low/right about a 4" spread (still suffering hang fires but the patches looked great) at that point I thought - I am going to shoot one more and call it day with the Renegade and then start to pattern the 870 for Turkey season. Loaded up #3 of that group - shot it - could not find it on the the target with the binoco that I had - figured I missed the whole target-crap #3 was the best shot of the day -Did not know where it was till I walked down and picked up the target to put a Turket target up. Just got back from the store bought some JSG-3f - gonna try that later in the week.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 'Nother PRB trip to the Rock Pit

My Renegades shooting roundball really like a strong powder charge.. so if you think of it, put some powder to it... one of my Renegades shoots best with 110 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball. I will have to take a Renegade out tomorrow and play in the snow with it.. Maybe try some APP 2f in it.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 'Nother PRB trip to the Rock Pit

Well, you're getting there Sabotloader.

I don't have much experience with JSG, but knew I had shot a few loads with it out of the Mustanglast fall. So I just checked my records and found that I had shottwo targets with JSG and the Mustang. When I pulled them from the file folder I had a"Hey, I don't remember this!" reaction. One target shows five shots at 100 yards with 90 grains JSG and 385 grain GPs - a 1 & 3/4" group with an average velocity of only 1018 fps. The other target has a 1 &3/8"five shot group at 50 yards with300 grain Gold Dots over 100 grains JSG and an average velocity of only 1048. I don't know why I didn't explore it further. Maybe the low velocities turned me off.

I think I'll have to give it a try with the disappointing Renegade after I work the bore over with steel wool.

Cayugad, if your Renegade is shooting well with PRBs and 110 grains GOEX, it would probably take 130 grains of JSG to equal that load.