Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

i want to shoot the barnes TMZ, what sabot should i have?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default i want to shoot the barnes TMZ, what sabot should i have?

i know it's a boattail design so am i stuck with the yellow one that it comes with?

it going in a: truimph, LRH, master hunter.

i assume that the same sabot will not work for all of the guns.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i want to shoot the barnes TMZ, what sabot should i have?

ORIGINAL: outdoorsmen

i know it's a boattail design so am i stuck with the yellow one that it comes with?

it going in a: truimph, LRH, master hunter.

i assume that the same sabot will not work for all of the guns.
No, there areseveral of other options for the TMZ to get tighness:

1) Order some Knight Blue Sabots directly from Knight for the TMZ (they are not on the web site, but
they are made for the Knight) Knight remarkets the Barnes TMZ as a Knight brand bullet, you can buy them also from Kngiht with the supplied sabot and that should fit since you have a LRH. I will find you the Knight Part number since I save the post with that info. I love the TMZ, see this for performance of the TMZ in Ballistic Gel:

http://tinyurl.com/2zquqp

The Knight part number for these sabots are Knight #120102.

2) Some folks Kurl their TMZ bullets with a couple of files to get them larger, look over on Doug's Savage Forum for how to Kurl, they use this tool:

http://www.martindaleco.com/pdfs/Electricians_Hand_Tools/Knurling%20Tool.pdf

which cost about $62.

3) some folks place some plumbers/teflon tape around the bullet and then put it in thesabot to getit a bit tigher like this:
http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage&action=display&thre ad=1206987941

4) some folks shootanother thicker sabots,like and MMP12, and place a #14 washer in the bottom of it,so thewasher gas checks the sabot.

So I have see these things tried and work over on the Savage board. Chap

Old 03-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorsmen

I do not know for sure but I doubt very much that you will get the Barnes down the Triumph with the standardsabot. I would think off-hand that the bore on the the Knight LRH and the MH area bit larger than the Triumph.

The standard sabot may go down the 2 Knights correctly.

MMP is making a new Orange EZ load sabot for Knight - but it does notsupport a boat-tail bullet.

Chap is correct the blue EZ load is for the boat-tail .451 Barnes.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

if i can't get the TMZ to fit in my triumph due to the boottail sabot combo i my just try the regular 250gr MZ (knight red hot) and use that for my timber gun. i think i should be able to get the MZ down with a thin sabot right? what kind would i need? i heard that the EZ load sabots are junk in the knight.i don't know about the TC's.
I'll leave the LRH and MH for my field edges, long range guns.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorsmen

if i can't get the TMZ to fit in my triumph due to the boottail sabot combo i my just try the regular 250gr MZ (knight red hot) and use that for my timber gun.
That certainly would allow you to use a couple of different sabots for the Triumph...

You can try either the (1) Knight Orange EZ load sabot (2) the MMP HPH-3p-EZ load (3) the Harvester "Crush rib" I personally have used the 3p in a couple of different guns and really it. But, you are right it would probably be to thin for the average Knight.

But there is a chance that the Blue Knight - which is a variety of the 3P would work in your Triumph and that would allow you to use the boattail bullet.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

so the EZ load orange is the flat base and the EZ load blue is the boattail? is that right?

i guess teh EZ's may work in the T/C but i leary of it. i shot the shockwave superglides and they seemed like they skiped as you were loading them and the result would be a flyer. a knight guy told me that the EZ's in the knight guns were not good at all.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorsmen

so the EZ load orange is the flat base and the EZ load blue is the boattail? is that right?
Yes, that is the way I understand it...

i guess teh EZ's may work in the T/C but i leary of it. i shot the shockwave superglides and they seemed like they skiped as you were loading them and the result would be a flyer.
If that is the case, the skipping I would suggest three things... 1) try to load a regular Barnes yellow sabot in the Triumpgh - it goes down you are in like flint... 2) if that does not work - Try an HPH-24 (for a flatbase) bullet - does it do down correctly? If it does you are good to go with a flatbase bullet... 3) if the two thoughts above do not work then try a "crush rib" - but that would also be with a flat bullet.

I am sitting here thinking if the yellow shockwaves load easily and you could feel it skip - you may be one of the fortunate ones that got a new Triumph with a bigger bore... that would be worth something.

One more question - when you say you could feel it skip - do you mean it would be tight going down then loosen for a bit then tight again?

a knight guy told me that the EZ's in the knight guns were not good at all.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

yes that is exactly what i'm saying. start out tight then loose "skip" for a few inches, then tight again, then loose then tight and so on. i have spoken with another guy who knew exactly what i was talking about cause he experienced the same thing.
i just got the gun in late november last year, they had just came in a week or so before i bought it, so it wasn't sitting around long.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorsmen

yes that is exactly what i'm saying. start out tight then loose "skip" for a few inches, then tight again, then loose then tight and so on. i have spoken with another guy who knew exactly what i was talking about cause he experienced the same thing.
I do not want to cause a problem or panic, but with what you are describing I think I would call a TC tech and visit with them. A TC barrel should be the same bore diameter top to bottom. There should not be any tight then loose spots in the barrel. Heck that sounds like the old spanish cold drawn barrels.

Seriously, get your information together, what sabot do you feel it with, where do you feel it and any other pertinent information and call TC - see what they say....