Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Look at me now

Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Look at me now

Just put the scope on the 21" green mountain. If the wind stops I have some 270 gr gold dot soft points I want to try with some 777 powder. Probably start at 70 gr. and go up from there.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Look at me now

Her

Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Can you post a picture of that rifle with a scope on it? I've been debating whether I want to do that or not. I just like the way it shoots as is, but I do shoot better, even with a simple 1X scope...

Also I have a bunch of the 270 grain Gold Dots around the house. What sabot are you going to use? 70 or 80 grains of powder is where I would start as well... this is going to be very interesting..

Old 03-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

I see the picture is there now. I just can't get the hang of the picture thing, it keeps telling me the file is too large so I have to crunch it down. I don't know if I will leave the scope on or not, just wanted to see what the gun is capable of. I have some green Hornady sabots, not sure if they are made by MMP.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

dphobby - I had the same problem. A quick solution is to go into your photo program and crop the pic to as small as you can. (take out all the background). A lot of times that shrinks the bytes enough so you can post it.
I hope it shoots well for you. I just can't get used to the looks of a modern scope on a traditional ML. I would love to find me one of those old long brass scopes to put on mine. Until then I will use the iron sights.
ps: I am going down to Cabelas this afternoon to pick up a tang sight for my Hawken.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice looking rifle though. Whether you like scoped traditional rifles or not..
Old 03-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

My only complaint with a scoped traditional sidelock is the dirt that collects on the scope and the inability to put the breech down in a container of water to clean the barrel. Even with Q/D rings the base can get water under it and cause problems. I have scoped sidelocks, and I shot them much more accurately, but I prefer to remove the barrel and put the breech in water for cleaning.
The scope does look good on that rifle, though.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thing of beauty, now if you shot PBs, Mr. P would really think you have a rifle!! See thru mounts, if you only had FL!! Looks like mine. Chap

Old 03-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Here is some targets I shot yesterday at 50 yds. The wind was a little too strong otherwise I would have tried 100 yds. I just like to have as few variables as possible. The only difference is the first one was 80 gr. tripple 7 fff and the second one was 90 gr. (one flyer in the first group). 270 gr. gold dot soft point and green sabot. I don't really think I will leave the scope on, I just wanted to try it, besides I have enough rifles with scopes and this one has such a nice balance with out the scope.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

2nd Target 90 gr. triple 7 fff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.