Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old Loads & Taped Breechplugs

Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Old Loads & Taped Breechplugs

Been meaning to mention this, but kept forgetting to do it.

I brought the Mustang along on my last range session. It had my standard huntingload in the barrel that has been in theresince last December - 100 grains T-7 under a 300 grain Gold Dot in a squeaky clean barrel. Well I shot it at the 100 yard target and it hit just where it should have. Felt good about that. Since the gun was dirty, I went ahead an shot another twenty rounds of mixed bullets and sabots just to use up some odds and ends. Cleaned it real well with Butch's Bore Shine at the range, but did not pull the breech plug.

So, a couple of days ago I got to thinking that I should pull that plug and clean the gun again, just to make sure. Now this plug had been put in back in Decemberwith three wraps of yellow teflon tape, which has been my practice of late, and takes a bit of force to screw in with that much tape. When I removed the plug it took about the same amount of force, but was in no way difficult or stuck. The plug came out with just a few threads of tape on the threads, and was squeaky clean. Absolutly no fouling on the threads or face of the plug. I shoved a bore brush in the breech - up past where the threads ended - then pulled it out with an unscrweing motion. All of the tape came out in one pass, like a bunch of tangled little strings. The threads in the breech were just as clean as those on the breech pluch.

So, if you haven't tried teflon tape yet I suggest you give it a go. Put on enough so that the plug is just a bit difficult to screw in, and go ahead a fully seat the plug. No need to back it out a 1/4 turn, or anything like that.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Old Loads & Taped Breechplugs

Semisane

It really amazes me that yu are able to get 3 wraps of yellow on your breech plug and get it in the gun, everything else about your report seems pretty much a ditto here....

Yellow is the thickest tape - and the fact you are putting on 3 wraps + plus get it into your barrel is sorta amazing... but what thehey! If it works for you do not fix it...
Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna have to try that tape. I get anti sieze everywhere no matter how careful I am. I've seen the white and pink stuff of course. I don't think I've ever seen the yellow stuff. Is that for special applications on something? Could I find it at Menards, Home Depot, Lowes type stores? Thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I've never seen the yellow, but give the breech three wraps with the white tape, a thin coat of the anti seize and I am good to go.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

sjsfire

The Depot and Lowes should both have it.. it will be in the gas pipe section... but it might not work for you as it is really thick... I would pick up some pink also just in case..
Old 03-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

but give the breech three wraps with the white tape, a thin coat of the anti seize and I am good to go.
Ya ought to give it a try one time without the anti seize. My experience indicates it's an unnecessary step, and certainly less messy.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

That plug must be grossly undersized for the barrel threads. No way in creation could I get a plug in with three wraps of yellow tape. Or even pink.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 2 to 3 wraps of white but barely overlap - thats what I need to cover all the threads and go well over the face so it seals.

Steve
Old 03-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Traditions breech plug wassticking every time I shot the rifle when I used the anti-sieze lube. It would break loose easily, then back out a turn or two and get tight. I had to use an impact wrench to remove it. With anti-sieze lube the first3 or 4threads were burned & dry, and a lot of powder residue was being blown back into the threads.
An overlapping wrap of the yellow teflon tape (double thickness) solved the problem! With the tape the plug takes some force to install, but aboutthe same force removes it. I wrap the front of the plug so the extra tape blows back to seal the threads. Using this method a lot of shooting (15 - 20 shots) only blows back and discolors the front thread instead of 3 or 4 threads.