Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

American Pioneer Powder & Knight Rifles

Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: American Pioneer Powder & Knight Rifles

Funny thing I have found is MY Remington 54cal.really liked 85gr. loose clean shot. When it came out as AAP it shot all over the place. Groups were so bad with any charge It wouldn't have suprized me to find out I killed some thing standing behind me. Other than AAP this rifle will group with about any thing you stuff down the barrel including the cat.

Al

Old 03-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

thanks bo79 .. 280 grain Harvester Scorpion.. I have not came across them in my travels.. Something to watch for. Maybe I will just stick with the loose powder as I have plenty of it. Although pellets are fun to play with.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

"I noticed at the little gun shop they had American Pioneer Sticks and JSG Sticks)

Both areproblematic. JSG sticks need to be crushed. Both powders are prone to wide swings in velocity and pressure that makeloads inconsistent.

Both 777 and Pyrodex are very dirty powders. If you are after a clean burning powder look at JSG granular: It does take some work to develop a good load with it.After going througha couplepounds of JSG granular I have foundtwo loadings that give good accuracy with the 250 grain SST in my Encore: 90 grains and 120 grains. Have killed several deer and a lot of hogs with 90 grains of JSG and the 250 grain SST bullet.

JSG granular likes a tight fitting sabot and has to be tamped really hard for best accuracy. Consistency in seating the sabot is everything with JSG ranular.

Good luck with your new gun.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Well a short update.. I got to the store in the big city, and stood there looking at their APP and JSG sticks and due to your posts, decided against it. I figured I will load loose, so I got a couple pounds of APP 2f. Then I saw they had bases for my Disc Extreme, so I got them. And they had a heck of a sale on Barnes Expander's in 250 grain. Each package came with ten Barnes expander's and sabots. So I bought them out. I got twelve packs of them. Then I got looking at scopes.. I looked at Nikons, Bushnell 3200, Leupolds, and got to thinking of all the money I had spent so far and had not even checked out of the store. I decided to leave for the day. And purchased all my goodies.

Then I went to a gun shop my friend owns.At his gun shop I had the chance to handle a CVA Electra. All kidding aside, this is one solid feeling rifle. It is well balanced, and had nice fiber optic sights. He then demonstrated to me how it works. You turn it on and let it charge. It took about 20 seconds. This this little red light flashes at you. The thumb safety which is nothing more then a on and off switch, does the rest. He said once it is fired, before you can load again, it will be charged and ready to fire. He also showed me how it sparks. That thing really throws a volt or two. $495.00 I think it was, but not positive on that.

WE then went to the scope section of the store. He had a Nikon Omega he showed me in silver with the BDC. He offered it to me for $259.95 with free mounting of course. I told him I wanted to look the scope up and read about it first. So he started showing me some Leupold VII models, and a Nikon Monarch... and I fled the building before temptation got the better of me.

So I resisted temptation on the scopes and only dropped well over a strong hundred or so on the other junk...
Old 03-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave, just so you know, as one of your concerns has been eye relief... I just finished putting a 3200 on this Knight I got... Terry was standing here so I asked her to measure the eye relief. On 3 power it it was easily 4" and on 9" power she said 3.75". I had a good full clear picture for both measurments.

Bushnell states 3.3" on 9X and I have always thought it was more than that....

By the way - the Knight with scope weighs 9# 1 oz on the new digital scale I just bought, the White U-magwith scope 9# 3 oz, the Remington 700ml 9# 2 ozand the Omega with scope 8# 3 ozand oddly enough the Renegade with a GM-LRH-SS 7# 14oz -but no scope...
Old 03-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I was real impressed with the Nikon Omega and the bullet drop compensator. He did say that if the rifle does not shoot a magnum load, the BDC will not be on. And he mentioned that even at long ranges, you still have to check them because often they are not exactly on. He was telling me that when you sight in the cross hairs, then you work the next mark and so on, and memorize those other marks. He said most of them will get you out to 250 yards, and he does not suggest shooting that far anyway. It really seemed nice and clear.

I asked him if he liked Burris, since Natchez has a sale on them and I was surprised when he told me he refused to sell Burris in the store because they do not stand being their life time warranty. I asked his opinion on the Bushnell 3200 and he told me it was a real good scope. He had no problems with them.

This guy shoots competition with a peep sight. You should see the peep sight he has on his target competition rifle. He was explainingto me, how you tune it to the size of the bulls eye, and distanceand then all you do is hold true center and let go... But the peep was like $1000.00
Old 03-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

"I noticed at the little gun shop they had American Pioneer Sticks and JSG Sticks)

Both areproblematic. JSG sticks need to be crushed. Both powders are prone to wide swings in velocity and pressure that makeloads inconsistent.

Both 777 and Pyrodex are very dirty powders. If you are after a clean burning powder look at JSG granular: It does take some work to develop a good load with it.After going througha couplepounds of JSG granular I have foundtwo loadings that give good accuracy with the 250 grain SST in my Encore: 90 grains and 120 grains. Have killed several deer and a lot of hogs with 90 grains of JSG and the 250 grain SST bullet.

JSG granular likes a tight fitting sabot and has to be tamped really hard for best accuracy. Consistency in seating the sabot is everything with JSG ranular.

Good luck with your new gun.
This is really good info Falcon on how to shoot the JSG gradules. I liked how clean it shot--really didn't need to swab, but just couldn't get it anywhere without paying the$20 haz materials fee. Chap Gleason
Old 03-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

chap,
I don't know it would save you on gas or not. but all the gun shop down this way has it in stock. the one I deal with all the time is the cheapest on it. I think maybe $26. I maybe thinking high.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:05 AM
Spike

cayugad

email me at [email protected] i think i can help you on that nikon scope. and share some little info on the scope.

thanks
Jarrett
Old 03-20-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the nastiest emails I ever recieved was from a Burris scope customer service rep.....lol..made the decision not to buy one of them real easy...dont know how the rest of them are as I may have gotten a bad one but...

Quick Reply: American Pioneer Powder & Knight Rifles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.