Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! SNOW!!!!!

Old 03-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! SNOW!!!!!

Well, how much did the big storm dump on you. We woke up to this here in Petawawa.

On a bright note I've got the GM Barrel all set to go. When some of this stuff melts.

I've tried to find the scope mount bases for this rifle to no avail. Foxridge is out of stock. TC doesn't make it anymore, etc. etc. I ordered a Picatinny blank rail to see if I can't work something out. I also did as another and changed out the thimble for one with a sling mount.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! SNOW!!!!!

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

Well, how much did the big storm dump on you. We woke up to this here in Petawawa.

On a bright note I've got the GM Barrel all set to go. When some of this stuff melts.

I've tried to find the scope mount bases for this rifle to no avail. Foxridge is out of stock. TC doesn't make it anymore, etc. etc. I ordered a Picatinny blank rail to see if I can't work something out. I also did as another and changed out the thimble for one with a sling mount.

I have the exact same gun in a FL with the GM barrel, I love the weight of mine and the way it handles. The thread from the old thimble for the sling would not fit. Where did you find the sling thimble.You got dumped on pretty good, wegot a lot of rain here in Washington DC area.
Chap
Old 03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

It really is amazing how a few inches of barrel change the handling of a rifle. With the sling wrapped around my arm this seems to hold rock steady (at least in my basement).[&:]We'll see how she does at the range.

The rifle is a DeerStalker so I took the thimble off the DS barrel and used the screw from the GM thimble to mount the sling thimble from the DS on the GM.

Now I'm confused. lol []
Old 03-09-2008, 11:20 AM

Yep-looks like you got snow alright...We got maybe 5 inchs and the rest
is all ice..Things are pretty much at a stand still..Power was out al day
yesterday until ????.....Have a great day..
Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Yup. About the same in Kitchener. Snowplows got nowhere left to put it. It's gonna be quite a mess when it melts.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

It missed us!!!! We did not get any of it...

I must have bought the last mount from Fox Ridge Outfitters. You'd think with people calling and asking for them they would stock some. They are kind of expensive but what the heck. Perhaps there is a good machinist out there that can make some of them (and probably for a lot less money).

That is a nice looking rifle. I seldom sling a rifle that short as I can carry it pretty easy, but that looks pretty nice. I have that same thimble on a T/C Hawkins so all I would have to do is switch them around... Some thing to think about.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always liked using a sling while shooting (must be my army training[&:]sticking with me). It gets things in a nicetight little package. It also makes the rifle easy to carry when dragging out a deer.