Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

More Homework Completed

Old 03-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default More Homework Completed

Got a chance to go to the range again with the White UltraMag today. I thought I would just try some different bullets and powder loads to see what might work. All shooting was done at 50 yards using 777 2F loose powder and a CCI musket cap. First I shot some old 300 XTP's that I've had for a while. They loaded nicely with reasonable tightness but not real tight. I started with 90gr at a target that was already on the range and while I hit it it was not worth taking a picture of (maybe 4"). Next I set up my box target and shot 3 XTP's using 100gr and 3 more with 110gr, they measured 2" and 1.5" respectively(center high). Next I tried some 320 Maxi's that I got on closeout at Walmart. They loaded as easy as the Bull Shops I shot last time out, a bit loose for my taste. I shot 3 with 90grand 3 with 100gr, they measured 2.25" and 1.75" respectively(center low and lower left). I then tried a card under the bullet with 90gr to see if it would help, that group measured 2.625"(upper left), no real help. I then pulled out some 385 Buffalo bullets and tried 3 with 90gr and 3 with 100gr, they measured 1.625" and 2.25" respectively(upper and lower right). As you can see a few of the loads had bullets touching or almost touching. Some of the group size is due to my being rusty at best with open sights but all of them would be good enough to hunt with out to maybe 100 yards or so.

Sorry about the focus, I'm not sure wat was going on with the camera. Conditions today were nice with 36 degree temps and a very light breeze with mostly cloudy skys. Elevation at the range is right at 8000 feet and it was snowing on Pikes peak across the valley from the range.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:08 PM

Default RE: More Homework Completed

[:'(] gosh damn, i almost threw up looking at that picture! That focus is really bad! lol

It was starting to snow a little down here too. I didnt know you were in the springs area. I was in Manitou last saturday. Went to The mountain man store and stocked up on powder.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 PM

David

Next time pick you up a box of 385gr Hornady GP conicals and start at 80gr no wad If you look at that target when you were shooting the Buff. 385gr conicals you had a tighter group with 90gr than with the 110gr I belive if you would drop down to 80gr or 85gr your shot group would Tighten up even more !

Ron
Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Those maxi do a nice job there.. Those Whites are good shooters.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

FG,
I'm up here on a job till the end of March, in fact, I've been up here off and onfor most of the last year. I've been to Mountain Man several times and plan on going there one more time before I head home for good and pick up some 3F and 4F Goex for the fllintlock I'm putting together from one of my Bobcats. The lock should be shipping next week. So where are you located?

Indiana SP,
I tried the buffalo's out since I already had them, I will get some GP's to try when I get a chance. I think the 90gr load showed a lot of promise, I'm not use to using regular open sight and my eyes have a tough time with them so if I was using a scope or peep I think all the groups would have been tighter. I plan on getting a peep for the White as soon as I get a chance.

Cayugad,
This is only the second range session I've had with the White and so far it shoots most everything I stuffed down the bore. I am impressed with both the way it shoots and the ease of clean up, its a very well built rifle.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:08 PM

Im south. Just a little ways west of trinidad. Next time i go back to the mountain man store, i'll be taking a bison horn blank with me. Gotta have a nice horn to go with the elk skin possibles bag i have
Old 03-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

West of Trinidad, OK. I spent an hour +getting through that area last Sunday on my way back up here from NM. Between the wind and snow though Raton Pass there were times I couldn't even see the end of my hood. Sometimes I couldn't even see the road out the side window. Luckily after I got out of the Trinidad area things improved and I was able to make it up to C. Springsin about2.5 hours. It took me almost 8 hours to make the 5 hour trip because of the snow. I'm not sure but someone told me they closed the pass that night around 8pm, thats about the time I made it to Trinidad.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:15 AM

Lol yeah they did. I had my nephew over and was getting ready to take him back when i heard on the news it was closed. Needless to say, he got a day off from school. Sorry to hear you had to spend an hour getting through trinidad.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

Got a chance to go to the range again with the White UltraMag today. I thought I would just try some different bullets and powder loads to see what might work. All shooting was done at 50 yards using 777 2F loose powder and a CCI musket cap. First I shot some old 300 XTP's that I've had for a while. They loaded nicely with reasonable tightness but not real tight. I started with 90gr at a target that was already on the range and while I hit it it was not worth taking a picture of (maybe 4"). Next I set up my box target and shot 3 XTP's using 100gr and 3 more with 110gr, they measured 2" and 1.5" respectively(center high). Next I tried some 320 Maxi's that I got on closeout at Walmart. They loaded as easy as the Bull Shops I shot last time out, a bit loose for my taste. I shot 3 with 90grand 3 with 100gr, they measured 2.25" and 1.75" respectively(center low and lower left). I then tried a card under the bullet with 90gr to see if it would help, that group measured 2.625"(upper left), no real help. I then pulled out some 385 Buffalo bullets and tried 3 with 90gr and 3 with 100gr, they measured 1.625" and 2.25" respectively(upper and lower right). As you can see a few of the loads had bullets touching or almost touching. Some of the group size is due to my being rusty at best with open sights but all of them would be good enough to hunt with out to maybe 100 yards or so.

Sorry about the focus, I'm not sure wat was going on with the camera. Conditions today were nice with 36 degree temps and a very light breeze with mostly cloudy skys. Elevation at the range is right at 8000 feet and it was snowing on Pikes peak across the valley from the range.
It looks to me that you just have to pick your poison. That barrel doesn't care what it shoots by the looks of it. Good groupings all around.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

That SSB 385g BB looks good to me. Two touching and 1 about 1.625" away. I would start with that one. Best wished on getting that dialed in. Chap

Quick Reply: More Homework Completed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.