Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

xtps vs xtpmags

Old 03-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default xtps vs xtpmags

Anyone know the performance difference between the two? Just happened to look at them at gander mtn today. The xtps $18.00, xtpmags $24.00 a box. shot the xtps way in the past, seemed to work fine w/90 to 100grs ffg out of my mk85 if memory serves! Getting older though!!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: xtps vs xtpmags

I've shot both but never took a deer with either. I heard the XTP mags hold together a little more and do not expand as much. Whether that's true I can not confirm with in the field experience.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Killed about ten deer and50-60 hogs with240 grain .44 caliberXTP bullets. Vast majority were bang flops. Onehuge hogwas probably shot with a 240 grain .45 caliberXTP. That bulletwent through both shoulders.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the XTP was designed for handgun velocities, and the XTP Mag is simply a heavier jacket for thehigher velocity muzzleloaders.
Only shot 2 deer with XTPs, one was with a plain XTP handgun bulletthrough the lungs broadsideand it went about 30 yards with a huge exit wound. The other was this winter with an XTP Mag and the deer was quartering toward me. I put it in front of thefront leg andthrough the body cavity toward the rear leg on the off side. No exit - bang flop - lungs looked like jello.
Both were 300 grain bullets, andpushed by 100 gr Pyrodex.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I've shot both but never took a deer with either. I heard the XTP mags hold together a little more and do not expand as much. Whether that's true I can not confirm with in the field experience.
Yes, that is true. The jacket is thicker. My son has shot a few deer with them a couple of years ago and they worked good. I like the thicker jacket for bone hits. Chap Gleason
Old 03-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mag version is suppose to be design for higher velocity. I have used both and honestly didn't notice any difference in performance. I stuck with the XTP's b/c they are cheaper. The onlygameI have shot with 300gr xtp was a black bear and moose...both died effeciently from one shot. I have used the 240 -.43and 250 .45xtps for a number of deer, also never needed a second. My loads were 85 - 100 gr with 240/250 xtp's, depending on the rifle.

Come to think of it,savage shooters say stay away from the mag XTP version,one would think if velocity is the reason for the Mag version then they should be the choice in this weapon where velocities are typically higher then sub shooting inlines???? Never shot Mags in the savage, doubt i ever will I have a good supply of the regular xtps
Old 03-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Also the mags have a nasty habit of not opening up, punching straight thru. I'd stay with the regulars, and if you think they are going too fast you can slow them down with more weight.(300g)
Old 03-09-2008, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have killed a bunch of deer with the 44/240 XTP. Almost all were bang flop.Shot one with a 45/300 XTP Mag. Only deer I ever lost with MZ. Shoulder shot, decent blood trail,long track,lost deer. Maybe a bad shot placement? I will never know. All I do know is the shoulder was broken,dragging leg,and the deer fed the coyotes,not me. I switched bullets.

Charlie
Old 03-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

They both work well if used right the XTP Mag should only be used when the velocity is over 2000 FPS which means the loads most people and most guns like are to light. Lee
Old 03-09-2008, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

They both work well if used right the XTP Mag should only be used when the velocity is over 2000 FPS which means the loads most people and most guns like are to light. Lee
Lee is Correct, Personally when shooting the XTPsI like the 44cal .430 300gr with a green MMp or Harvester Sabot the .430 has the Highest BC of any of the XTPs , But I am Interested in trying out some of the .40 10mm 200gr this year also!

Ron

Quick Reply: xtps vs xtpmags

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.