Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C OMEGA SET-UP QUESTIONS??

Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 PM

Default T/C OMEGA SET-UP QUESTIONS??

I’ve just bought the T/C 50 cal Omega and the Nikon Omega scope. I’m trying to decide which scope and rings will be best. I’ve been looking at the Talley one piece scope and rings but seen a lot of mixed reviews on it such as the screws for the base being too long and not being able to move the scope forward enough to compensate for the 5” eye relief. I really wanted to use the Tally one piecesince it's camo pattern matched the gun and barrel. Does anyone have any input on this sope mounting system or have any suggestioins on a better one?

I’m also trying to decide which sabots to use. I’m looking at the Hornady SST 250 Grain and the T/C Shockwave 250 Grain. Reviews showed the Shockwave having expansion problems on impact and really hard to load because of a tight barrel. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T/C OMEGA SET-UP QUESTIONS??

The SST's and the Shockwaves should be the same bullet. You may have to try a few sabots to find the one that fits your gun best.
Art
Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhtr003

I’ve just bought the T/C 50 cal Omega and the Nikon Omega scope. I’m trying to decide which scope and rings will be best. I’ve been looking at the Talley one piece scope and rings but seen a lot of mixed reviews on it such as the screws for the base being too long and not being able to move the scope forward enough to compensate for the 5” eye relief. I really wanted to use the Tally one piecesince it's camo pattern matched the gun and barrel. Does anyone have any input on this sope mounting system or have any suggestioins on a better one?

I’m also trying to decide which sabots to use. I’m looking at the Hornady SST 250 Grain and the T/C Shockwave 250 Grain. Reviews showed the Shockwave having expansion problems on impact and really hard to load because of a tight barrel. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
For scope mounts do Warne. They are excellent. I have them on my Savage. File the screws shorter.

Correct, on the expansion problems in the SW/SST. I have an Omega, I use a Nosler Partition 300g HG bullet in it, with a Crushed Rib sabot. Now your not going to get the rangethat you get with the 250g SW, but out to 150 even 175 yard you got lots of killing power and they are one accurate bullet in an Omega, less than 2" group at 100 yard no problem. If you stay with a SW, then do shoulder shots putting it thru both shoulders. There are several better bullets than a SW, any Barnes Bullet will do, try the Barnes TMZ, but that may be too tight for your barrel. Also try the Barnes Origonal 300g with a Crushed Rib sabot. I assume you want 200 yard shooting. Chap

Old 03-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have five boxes of the Hornady 300 grain SSTs that I bought on sale for $1.88 a box. They shoot fine out of my Mustang. But I'm a heart/lung kind of a guy. I won't use a bullet for hunting that I have to put through the shoulders.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

I put Leupold QD's on my Omega.Solid return to zero every time. As for distance,you don't have much control. Omega uses the same one piece base as the Encore. Unless something changed since I bought mine.

Charlie

I have a Nikon Teamrealtree 3x9x40 on mine-I like it a lot
Old 03-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I have five boxes of the Hornady 300 grain SSTs that I bought on sale for $1.88 a box. They shoot fine out of my Mustang. But I'm a heart/lung kind of a guy. I won't use a bullet for hunting that I have to put through the shoulders.
Wow, $1.88/box that is a good deal. I am not saying they don't kill, 'cause they do. I would NOT be afraid to shoot them, but best performance is obtained with shoulder hits. If you shoot for the lungs they won't expand all the timeand you end up with some deer with a 200 yard tracking job, not every one but some. That is what I have read/heard of on this forum and in product reviews on Cabelas and MidWayUSA, alsodo a googlesearch for "ShockWave fragments" or "Shockwave doesn't expand" and you will find some content. Now do the exact same Google Search for "Barnes Origonals Fragment" or "Barnes Origonalsdon't expand", I just did about 2 weeks ago andbasically nothing bad on Barnes Origonals showed up.
Chap
Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the 300 gr Nosler Partition HG PP with the supplied sabot. 110 gr T7 and you're good for 200 yds with plenty of oomph when it get's there!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO Mr. Gleason is right on with the Warne setup, below is a picture showing the superior length of the base, which definitely allows better adjustment of eye relief.

I also believe that a torque screw driver is mandatory for the Omega(but I think it is mandatory for all MZ's) MZ. Tom.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

gleason.chapmanI also have heard many things about the SW, my personal experance and that of the other guys in the club here indicat that they work quite well as long the velocity is up over 1900 fp. I am inclined to believe that they are designed for the upper end of a muzzleloader velocity range and that the people that have had a problem with them were using less than 110 gr of 777 or 125gr of Pyrodex[ just my opinion] I use the 200gr and the 250 extensively in my Omega for the last 3 years and have had excellant results.
Have you checked out the page being put to gether for Black Horn 209?
http://www.blackhorn209.com/index.html
Lee

Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 250SW will likely not load with the sabots supplied...at least not in either of my Omegas. You'd have to get slightly smaller sabots.

As for performance on game, I have not used the 250SW but have taken probably 30+ deer with the 200gr SW. I have never had any performance issue, 110gr 777. I have a bullet that took down a deer at 209 yards this year, fully expanded back to the base. At that range the velocity was well below the 1900fps mark! I also had a complete pass-thru and bang-flop at 338 yds.

If anything, the SW can over-expand and separate from the jacket at close-range, bone-hitting shots. However in my experience this has always been on the far side of the deer after all necessary damage was done (jackets recovered under far-side skin and lead exited). Has happened maybe 3 times in 15-18 such shots.

I wonder is people complaining about not expanding are shooting the bonded version, which isn't really needed for deer...

Quick Reply: T/C OMEGA SET-UP QUESTIONS??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.