Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C OMEGA SET-UP QUESTIONS??

Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T/C OMEGA SET-UP QUESTIONS??

ORIGINAL: spaniel

The 250SW will likely not load with the sabots supplied...at least not in either of my Omegas. You'd have to get slightly smaller sabots.

As for performance on game, I have not used the 250SW but have taken probably 30+ deer with the 200gr SW. I have never had any performance issue, 110gr 777. I have a bullet that took down a deer at 209 yards this year, fully expanded back to the base. At that range the velocity was well below the 1900fps mark! I also had a complete pass-thru and bang-flop at 338 yds.

If anything, the SW can over-expand and separate from the jacket at close-range, bone-hitting shots. However in my experience this has always been on the far side of the deer after all necessary damage was done (jackets recovered under far-side skin and lead exited). Has happened maybe 3 times in 15-18 such shots.

I wonder is people complaining about not expanding are shooting the bonded version, which isn't really needed for deer...
Right, I would not be afraid to use them on deer out to 200. 338 yards, now that is a strech, and a bang flop to boot, wow. Great shooting. Chap
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

gleason.chapmanI also have heard many things about the SW, my personal experance and that of the other guys in the club here indicat that they work quite well as long the velocity is up over 1900 fp. I am inclined to believe that they are designed for the upper end of a muzzleloader velocity range and that the people that have had a problem with them were using less than 110 gr of 777 or 125gr of Pyrodex[ just my opinion] I use the 200gr and the 250 extensively in my Omega for the last 3 years and have had excellant results.
Have you checked out the page being put to gether for Black Horn 209?
http://www.blackhorn209.com/index.html
Lee
No I have not, but it sounds pretty good on the comparison of Black Horn vs 777 and JSG. Thanks for the link. I agree the SW have to be shot hot.
Chap Gleason
Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

I use 300 grain S/W with 2 Pyrodex Pellets. I have killed two does and one coyote with the S/Ws. They work, believe me! Oh yeah, I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 on top.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:42 PM

Thanks guys. I eneded up buying Leupold base and rings since that's what Basspro had in the store today. I've got a couple of different sabots to try and I'll let you know what works best for me once I get the chance to shoot it.

George

Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhtr003

Thanks guys. I eneded up buying Leupold base and rings since that's what Basspro had in the store today. I've got a couple of different sabots to try and I'll let you know what works best for me once I get the chance to shoot it.

George

Like they say on tv adfrom "Men's Warehouse, "Your gonna like the way ya look.", well I think your gonna say the same thing about that gun and also the way it shoots---"Your like the way this gun looks and shoots." Find your load, bullet and sabot combo now, don't wait till 1 month before hunting season, you know the deal your a bow hunter, only difference between bow hunting and ML hunting is 30 yards vs 100 yards, same things however 1 shot well placed. Get er dialed in, now, and they you will be confident when fall rolls around. Chap Gleason