Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

could not finish my homework

Old 03-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default could not finish my homework

I went out today with good intentions of doing my homework... but believe it or not, it was just too cold. Even though it was 19ºs and dropping, when I first got out there I did not take into consideration the wind coming off Lake Superior. It was a strong wind at that, and the temperature was dropping and the wind was getting stronger. I'd forgotten my gloves in the house, and my eyes were watering too hard to see, and the dog ate it...

I'd seen the post of shooting sabots out of the Renegade. When I was looking through my bullets and such, I found a pack of .54 caliber sabots with 240 grain XTP's. So I decided to try them and some roundball. I loaded on a clean barrel. The first shot I had no idea where it was going. It shot to the left. I then swabbed and fired the next two. I was kind of surprised they grouped that well. And I was about ready to end this shooting match, but wanted to throw a couple roundball. I figured I was going to have to clean this smokepole anyway. This rifle is a good roundball shooter normally. So without swabbing, I loaded 80 grains of Goex 3f and a .018 pillow tick patch, moose milk lube, and a home casted .530 roundball. I shot two of them. And then I decided I had enough. I gathered up my gear and went back in the house where it was nice and warm.

I will see about getting back to the range as soon as the wind dies down...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: could not finish my homework

Cayugad, you are one cold hardened son-of-a-gun! I would not even have stuck my nose out of the door in those conditions. That's some fine shooting under horrible conditions.

Looks like that Renegade is a shooter for sure. I ran across this ad today in a local classified section.

Thompson RENEGADE .50 cal. Looking to get out of gun safe fast. First $175.00 gets it. You never know make me a offer. Got to move! No room left in safe. Will have pics posted tomorrow!
Wish it were a .54. What do you think of the price?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Well that is a good deal... $175.00 for a good quality Renegade, I would buy it and I do not need it.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't need it either, but it might look good on the rack between the New Englander and the Zouave.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad. I bet you would of stayed out with the wind if was 71 degrees
Old 03-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I don't need it either, but it might look good on the rack between the New Englander and the Zouave.
It sure will.. and actually that .50 caliber Renegade is still 1" on the flats so you can spend a lot more money on all then nice Green Mountain Barrels.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: corey012778

cayugad. I bet you would of stayed out with the wind if was 71 degrees
Corey, normally I can take the cold pretty good. But today that wind was brutal. A just went back out a short time ago and it seems to have died down, but the rifle is all cleaned and I am not going to dirty it again today.. Next time out we will try some other loads.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I may go and shot my 22. going to make a bullet trap like gander but in a 5 gallon bucket. I got some winds today too. about 15 to 20 steady
Old 03-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

just tell everyone your dog ate it lol
wonder why my teacher never bought that one
Old 03-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Cal, thats some great shooting considering the cold. This brings up one of the reasons why I haven't shot my new Gp in 54 cal. Being a first time shooterI want someone with me to show me the ropes, all my buddies are tied up,and where we shoot the snow is still very deep, can't get to it even with a 4x4. I know excuse's excuse's but I want to make sure that I don't blow my stupid head off. Having a difficult time finding Goex powder by the pound, anyone have any suggestions? Oh another question, does shooting at 8000Ft effect powder,velocity, etc, etc?

Quick Reply: could not finish my homework

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.