Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nothing to do with shooting..just saw question

Old 03-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nothing to do with shooting..just saw question

There is nothing as beautiful as north woods in winter!!
Then you haven't been on a Gulf of Mexico marsh on aspring morning, with the sun coming up over the water, six pound redfish hitting mullets on the surface, blue herons and coons working the shoreline for crabs, and clouds of skeeters so thick you think the marsh is on fire.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I must be crazy too then. We set a record for snow fall amounts in Febuarys this year. We are 4th for total snow fall for a year so far. More on the way.
I like winter a lot and [:@]HATE mud[:@] season both spring and fall.
I see no reason to be cooped up and getting cabin fever, with todays high tec winter clothing.
We hunt for youtes, Crow season is in full swing right now, Crows 4 hunter 2 is the lattest score.
Then there is snowmobileing, snow shoeing, cross country sking too as well as the down hill sports (which I don't do).
We hunt rabbits either with the dogs or just ski and spot shoot them.

I also do most of my reloading in the winter also. Lots of 220 swift rounds since I tend to shot it the most at the youtes and crows not to mention thepossums.Then there is the stuff for the bees to get it all ready for the warm weather.
Like Dave I often wonder how I found time to have a real money paying job.
I haven't had my boat out in four years of summers. We are building our bee bussness, and the side line of that is doing bee removals. We have traveled as far 3 hours to remove bees from a grarage, 2 sheds and a tree in front of a fellows hunting cabin he was afraid was going to fall down with the bees in it.

Yes I like winter it is a slower time for me.
I also like to plow the drive since it gives me an excuse to play with one of our old tractors.

Al
Old 03-02-2008, 09:26 AM

Johnny2,

Have you thought of running a line underground to your barn? That way when you need it just plug it in at the house and you're good to go. I'm talking of an extension cord ran through some pvc. Nothing permanent but it would get the job done.
[quote]ORIGINAL: HuntAway

We got another 5 inches last night as well. Covered up all the dog poop again. [:'(]

I do have lectric in the barn,but not up stairs.....I got it all done anyway....
Old 03-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

One thing about lots of snowfall- my yard looks as good as the nieghborsuntill spring[:@]
Old 03-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Well it was warm and windy today... which causes fast melting. Some places are going to be in danger if all this snow melts fast. After the melt is mud season, that means cutting firewood for next year, and then the grass starts growing and the garden needs work.. it never ends.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

With all that work to get done
a retired man has no time for fun
Old 03-03-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Retired man here can not start the fun till about Nov. 1st.
We are going around feeding syrup to bees today since it is above 40F and the high is supposed to get to 50F. Our work begins now.
Possum - 0
hunter - 1

Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yooper

There was a special on TV the other day about large numbers of bees just disappearing???? are you having any trouble with yours?

The only problem I am having is my honey is disappearing... my grandkids were over this week and Terry shared the good stuff with them and you know a little is never enough...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

CCD seems to only be effecting those bee keepers who travel across the country fullfilling the need for pollinators. Like citrus in Fl. Almonds in Cal. Apples in Wa & Og, Mi & NY. Blue berries and cranberries in Maine.

We are justhaving, it appears our normal winter loss of 18 to 20%. Going to do some experminting next fall and see if we can reduce it by a bunch. I never kept bees before this global warming thing came about, so I think maybe the oldmethod of how much honey needs to be left is greater now. We still have very warm weather into early December but nothing in bloom for the girls to gather. Being warmer they are more active and eat more than they harvest in the late fall.

The good stuff is from a American Bee Keeper. Rarely found on a supermarket shelf. The labels don't tell the whole truth.

If you want more honey just give me the word I can stuff 7 pounds in a flat rate box.Maybe more if I find the right container. Lady at the post office told me they may also be coming out with a bigger flat rate box which she thought would cost about $10.00.

Al
Old 03-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yooper

That was what it was about - traveling bees.... So good I am glad to here you are not seeing the same thing happening...

Flat rate box I will certainly keep that in mind...

Did you read I bought one of those Knight Disk Extreme's with the MHC barrel... still looking for something that is as dependable and shoots as well our 700ML's. It is suppose to be here today - then I can start shooting it if the weather cooperates... looks like we got another 1/2" of snow last night. Mother Nature letting us know who really is in charge.

Hope you have a great year... mike

Quick Reply: Nothing to do with shooting..just saw question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.