Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Burris 3-9x40 or Nikon Omega for Encore ML

Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Burris 3-9x40 or Nikon Omega for Encore ML

Guys,

Sorry for the newbie kind of question but I'm struggling between the two scopes. I am a life-long deer hunter but just received my first ML (Encore Pro Hunter). I can get the Burris for about $50 less than the Omega...and that's a pretty big % difference. Also, which ever one you recommend, would you mount with Warne detachable or Leupold QR? Thanks in advance...your guidance is appreciated!

PS - Can you mix pellets and loose powder when dialing up a charge?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Burris 3-9x40 or Nikon Omega for Encore ML

Mixing loose and pellets is not a good idea. If you want to get different pellet charges, then look at some of the 30 grain and 50 grain combination. Personally I would just shoot the loose powder. Triple Se7en 2f or APP 2f even Pyrodex RS is all said to shoot well out of the rifle.

As for your scope question, I do not own either of them. Let me ask you, what kind of ranges are you looking at when you hunt? Do you need a BDC in the scope? Both of them are great scopes. I personally like the Nikon better. I hunt Nikon Pro Staffs on three of my rifles. As for the rings, all I will use is the Warne QD rings on my rifles. They work perfect. And I broke one. My fault mind you. Warne had me send it back and they sent me a brand new replacement.. free of charge. I am sure that Leupold would do the same. I just like the Warne.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

I will most likely use the iron sites in the morning (I hunt pretty thick, swampy kind of areas). Most every evening I'll be hunting green fields with shots that will approach 200-225 yds. I am concerned that if something other than 150 gr of 777 with a 250 gr Shockwave is "best" for my ML the Omega won't be setup correctly. Then again, I know I can accomodate for such by spending time on the bench (not a problem). Thanks for your help!
Old 02-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hammer49

I will most likely use the iron sites in the morning (I hunt pretty thick, swampy kind of areas). Most every evening I'll be hunting green fields with shots that will approach 200-225 yds. I am concerned that if something other than 150 gr of 777 with a 250 gr Shockwave is "best" for my ML the Omega won't be setup correctly. Then again, I know I can accomodate for such by spending time on the bench (not a problem). Thanks for your help!
So the QR is to take the scope of and hunt open sights in the AM, using the same bullet? And in the evening you have some pretty long shots with the 250 SW. I have Warne and I likethem on my Savage. That 250g weight of SW is know to fragment especially being pushed hard, the 300g is much better and only an inch or two more drop at 200 yards. Getting to 225 is doable, but you should considergo to the 200g SW with the MMP 50/40 sabot. Lee shoots them and has excellent luck with them. I think any 250g bullet with a BC near what the SWBC is will work for you, like the BarnesTMZ, if you can get them down your barrel. The encore likes the 150g, as my brother has one and he shoots that weight in his. He however uses pyrodex. Chap

Old 02-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

I have the burris FFII on savage ML and like it. It has marks at 1.5,4.5,7.5,and 11 moa. For meit works out to 1st line 200, 2nd line 250, 3rd line 290, and bottom post is about 320-325. You have to see where your load is hitting with any graduated recticle, dont take anyone's word for it.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

burris. i only own burris scopes. the BDC idea was in use by burris long before nikon rubbed elbows with t/c. watch out for the long eye relief on the nikon, it limits you FOV bigtime. also if you plan on taking off you scope to use the iron sights you might not be able to keep your rear sight on if your using the nikon cause you have to move it so far up that your rear sight will be in the way. I've installed them on pro hunters and have had to take off the sights.
i don't like the QD idea. to me it just seems that it'd have to move your POI. I'd use burris sig zee rings.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Meaning that the scope wouldn't return to zero after reattaching the scope? If that's the case then I will shy away from the QD. I was hoping that the Warne rings (being a little on the high-end side) wouldn't present the problem. I will literally go from 50 yds and closer in the mornings to 200+ yds in the evening. Any recommendations? I am close to pulling the trigger on a fullfield 3-9x40mm...thoughts????
Old 02-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck

I'd be afread to take off the scope and put it back on without checking it on paper to see where it hits. esp if i plain on trying a far shot on a deer.

easy answer, in your morning in the timber leave your scope on the lowest power. you'll have no problems at a "close range" with it set on 3x.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Meaning that the scope wouldn't return to zero after reattaching the scope? If that's the case then I will shy away from the QD. I was hoping that the Warne rings (being a little on the high-end side) wouldn't present the problem.
I don't have QDs on any of my guns, but my brother-in-law has Warnes on his Knight. He takes them off every time he cleans his gun and, so far, they have always returned to dead zero.