Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Input for Lyman .54

Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Default Input for Lyman .54

I am a older hunter that has been obseving the site for 5 months now. Thanks to you all I got into this great sport learning everyday. I bought an Omega .50scoped it andshot a nice 9 point buck during ML season. I can seeme doing less bowhunting and more B.P. shooting -I'm hooked.
I would like to get another rifleso I am looking at the Lyman Trade rifle .54 percussion and have some questions.
Can the barrels be interchanged for 1 in 60" twist?
Are they easy to take down and clean?
With 1 in 48" twist can I shoot about anything out of it?
Lyman has them on there web site for $279. Is this a good price?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
Old 02-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Input for Lyman .54

http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/Lyman_Muzzleloaders.html

I bought my rifle from D&R Sports.Com a couple years back. I bought the Lyman Trade Rifle .54 caliber Flintlock. You can change the barrel over to a Green Mountain Barrel with a 1-70 twist I believe. I would have to double check though. I lost my charts somewhere. They also make a 1-28 twist if you want to shoot conicals or sabots.

The 1-48 twist that comes with the rifle does an excellent job. 90 grains of Goex 2f and a .530 patched roundball and I got a very good shooting rifle. At 50 yards that load will shoot length way through an entire deer, breaking neck, brisket, and finally a rear leg. It has power. It also shoots powerbelts in the 405 grain weight and maxiball excellent. $279 is a pretty good price. D&R Sports are cheaper but I no longer recommend them as a store. I refuse to do business with them. I do not think you would have problems with them, but just watch your paper work real close, and anything promised, get it in writing. And that's all I have to say about that.

The rifle has excellent wood, comes with traditional and buckhorn sights, and a wooden ramrod. If you order the percussion model, get a new stainless steel nipple for it. The one that comes with the rifle lack a little. If the rifle acts up, that is the first place to look. Also the stock is not sealed as you have the option of making it darker or simply waxing it to seal it. Also the traditional rifles are very easy to maintain. With the hooked breech design of the Trade Rifle, you remove the barrel and give the rifle a hot soap and water bath and it comes clean very easy. I would recommend this rifle to anyone. If you are limited in experience with traditional rifles, you might want to get a percussion cap model. If you want real adventure and a learning experience, get the flintlock.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Martin, I shoot a Trade rifle in .50 perc and love it. Dave's right in that Green Mountain makes a replacement barrel in a 1:70. Should be a drop in replacement.
If it's a 15/16 this should work.....
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=1516-InterchangeableBarrels

Dave, what happened betwen you and DnR? If they shafted you on something, forewarn the rest of us before we go down the same road.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello Martin,

I have an Omega as well as a couple of Deerstalkers Flintlocks, a GPR Flinter, a Traditions E-Bolt Lightening and TC Reneggade Caplock. All in .50 cal. When it comes to cleaning I feel the traditional rifles are easier to clean than the inlines. Like cayugad said; Hot soapy water and away you go. They're also easier to take down. The Omega is more accurate (under 2" groups@ 100 yds and has shot sub 1")for me, but lack that special something that the flinters have.I'll still keep the Omega until I get my moose with it, then we'll see.

If the Trade Rifle is anything like the GPR or Deerstalkers you won't go wrong.
I chose a 50 as that is what I had gear for. Maybe I'll pick up a 54 somewhere down the road.

Good luck!