Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Report: JSG and 200 Grain Shockwave

Old 02-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Range Report: JSG and 200 Grain Shockwave

Today I shot the .50/.40 Shockwave in my Encore for the first time. The gun has a new scope, a Leupold FXIII 6x42: The Simmons M/L scope went to pot after several years on three different rifles.

The gun had been laser boresighted. Started with 90 grains of JSG FFG. It took only three shots to get it zeroed at 50 yards. Then I fired a three shot group thatmeasured about 1.25"-without swabbingbetween shots. Moved the target to 110 yards, the 100 yard line is flooded from recent rains.

Upped the powder charge to 100 grains and was on target with the first round. Fired two more rounds without swabbing the bore and got a non- spectacular group of 2.5"

Wanted to see where the gun now shoots the 250 grain SST in the "low drag" sabot with 110 grains of JSG. Swabbed the bore and fired a three shot group with out swabbing between shots. The three 250 grain SST made a 1.75"group in the middle of the 200 grain Shockwave group.

Got everything I wanted: Two good bullets of different weights and different powdercharges that shoot to the same point of aim.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range Report: JSG and 200 Grain Shockwave

ORIGINAL: falcon

Today I shot the .50/.40 Shockwave in my Encore for the first time. The gun has a new scope, a Leupold FXIII 6x42: The Simmons M/L scope went to pot after several years on three different rifles.

The gun had been laser boresighted. Started with 90 grains of JSG FFG. It took only three shots to get it zeroed at 50 yards. Then I fired a three shot group thatmeasured about 1.25"-without swabbingbetween shots. Moved the target to 110 yards, the 100 yard line is flooded from recent rains.

Upped the powder charge to 100 grains and was on target with the first round. Fired two more rounds without swabbing the bore and got a non- spectacular group of 2.5"

Wanted to see where the gun now shoots the 250 grain SST in the "low drag" sabot with 110 grains of JSG. Swabbed the bore and fired a three shot group with out swabbing between shots. The three 250 grain SST made a 1.75"group in the middle of the 200 grain Shockwave group.

Got everything I wanted: Two good bullets of different weights and different powdercharges that shoot to the same point of aim.

Most folk I have read say the Encore likes hotter loads and heavier bullets, so the 1.75 group does NOT surpise me to get good accuracy. My brother shoots 150g of pellets in his Encore with a 300g bullet, and it is accurate.
I liked the cleaniness of the Am Pioneer Powder when I shot it a few years ago, no swabbing and no crud ring would be a great thing. Is there a crud ring with the JSG?
Chap
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

"Most folk I have read say the Encore likes hotter loads and heavier bullets, so the 1.75 group does surpise me."

All my hunting with the Encore has been with JSG. Have killed several deer and a bunch of hogs with 90 grains of JSG and the 250 grain SST.That loadmakes three shot groups of 1" to 1.5."at 100 yards. I have never fired more than 110 weighed grains of JSG in that gun-about 125 measured grains. My shooting today was with measured powder, old powder at that. Next time at the range will give some heavier charges of JSG a try.

JSG does not leave a crud ring.

Tried 777 granular in my Encore. 110 grains of777 and the 250 grain SST isdeadly accurate with the first shot from a clean barrel. The secondfrom a dirty barrel could be anywhere on the target 6-8" from the first. Thebore had to be thoroughly cleaned between shots.Like to stay inthe tree stand after I shoot a hog. Quite often another hog will come along. The idea of cleaning the gun bore in a tree stand does not appeal to me. So I gave up on 777.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

"Most folk I have read say the Encore likes hotter loads and heavier bullets, so the 1.75 group does surpise me."

All my hunting with the Encore has been with JSG. Have killed several deer and a bunch of hogs with 90 grains of JSG and the 250 grain SST.That loadmakes three shot groups of 1" to 1.5."at 100 yards. I have never fired more than 110 weighed grains of JSG in that gun-about 125 measured grains. My shooting today was with measured powder, old powder at that. Next time at the range will give some heavier charges of JSG a try.

JSG does not leave a crud ring.

Tried 777 granular in my Encore. 110 grains of777 and the 250 grain SST isdeadly accurate with the first shot from a clean barrel. The secondfrom a dirty barrel could be anywhere on the target 6-8" from the first. Thebore had to be thoroughly cleaned between shots.Like to stay inthe tree stand after I shoot a hog. Quite often another hog will come along. The idea of cleaning the gun bore in a tree stand does not appeal to me. So I gave up on 777.
Great that it does not leave the crud ring. I think a lot of folks will be going to either this or the new Buckhorn black powder if the price is right. Chap
Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

falcon, some of us have found much better accuracy with heavy loads,I need to load my Omega with 150 gr RS or APP to get tight [minute of angle] groups and my Triump takes 110of 777 to do it [I dont care for 777 either and am hopeing that Blackhorn 209 will turn out to be as advertised] That200gr shock wave is an amazing bullet, I like the 200gr 40cal XTP to but it likes a lighter load. Lee
Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks, Lemoyne. Next time out I am going to up the chargeof JSGin the Encore with the 200 grain Shockwave and see what that does.Want to try Pinnacle FFFG but it is hard to find here: Will probably have to order it.Will try the Blackhorn powder when it becomes available.