Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good results 150gr ff and Remington PT

Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 PM

Default Good results 150gr ff and Remington PT

Good results 150gr ff and Remington PT
Any thoughts on terminal performance on an animal? I don’t hear much talk about these bullets on this forum. Just got these in to try – looks like they shoot great. All the way up to 150 grains T7 FF. Groups were under an inch. I didn’t chrony many loads yesterday but it looks like I need to shoot this some more. I also had good luck with the Barnes 290TMZ with 150 grains. I’ll post those later . The Remington PT’s seemed load very easy, almost like a PowerBelt.

Omega- SS –Fluted Stainless – Laminated Bedded Thumbhole stock- 4-12X swift
Target is 82 yards- MOA is based on 100 yards.
Triple Seven FF , Triple Seven Primers

Old 02-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Good results 150gr ff and Remington PT

Maybe my brain is out of gear, but I don't think I know what a Remington "PT" is. Help me out here.

Those are mighty fine groups. Gotta` be hauling butt with 150 grains T-7.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 PM

Thats what they call them. I also did some searching and I believe they are the same as Parker ballistic extreme. I would like to try to find the ballistic coefficient for the 250 & 275 grain. these are the one of the few bullets that seem to shoot good with a magnum charge.

here are the bullets
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=112287
Old 02-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought I heard of them, a local gunshop had them in stock. they are sold out now
Old 02-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowbender6

Thats what they call them. I also did some searching and I believe they are the same as Parker ballistic extreme. I would like to try to find the ballistic coefficient for the 250 & 275 grain. these are the one of the few bullets that seem to shoot good with a magnum charge.

here are the bullets
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=112287
I shot the PBE (Remington PT, Traditions XLR and PBE--I actually used them all) at 275g this past year in my savage.

My impression from killingseveraldeer with it this year---.450 diameter bullet, needed to throw away the supplied sabot for an MMP12 (comes with a 24--too loose in my Savage) >>great<< expansion, good shoot thru (most were shoot thrus), but they fragment and loose some weight on oblique hits.
There were accurate as heck in my Savage (SW was best), here were my groups with the Savage:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/Parker_Ballistic_Extreme_275g_2007_07_21_AA5744_44 g_WinchesterPrimer_default%20sabot.jpg

http://www.the-gleasons.com/Parker_Ballistic_Extreme_275g_2007_09_03_AA5744_44 g_WinchesterKleenborePrimer_default%20sabot.jpg

I used them, thinking thatI would use the 275g on Elk, however I am going to either a Barnes FB (flat base), a Barnes Origonal or a Barnes 275g XPB for next years hunting season. I have NOT shot either of these 3 bullets yet, but intend to this winter or early spring. Would I use them again, yes, because fo the accuracy, and they will be my fallback bullet if I can't get one of the Barnes to shoot as well as they do. Do I think they are the perfect bullet? NO. Why? Fragment. But accuracy is king, penetration is 2nd, expansion is 3rd, shoot thru is 4th in my perfect bullet modell in my mind's eye.
Hope that helps.
Chap

PS. Got this buck with PBE. Boom, 2 steps at most FLOP--50 or 60 yards.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:30 AM

Thanks Chap - I agree 100% , Looks like the only downside is fragmentation, but I can live with that. This loads should reduce tracking. I have the day of so I am going to look at a Savage 10 ML II. I realy didn’t think my Omega would shoot anything this flat, It seems to like the fatter bullets but these I can push fast and get good accuracy- the first concern,
Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

275 grain Parker Ballistic Extremes are get shooters and real good hunting loads. I shoot them in my Knight Disc.

Nice shooting there....
Old 02-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Chap - I agree 100% , Looks like the only downside is fragmentation, but I can live with that. This loads should reduce tracking. I have the day of so I am going to look at a Savage 10 ML II. I realy didn’t think my Omega would shoot anything this flat, It seems to like the fatter bullets but these I can push fast and get good accuracy- the first concern,
"Reduce tracking" is a must. Quick kill is huge where I live/hunt since I only have several little 15 acre, 25 acre wood patches to hunt all from ladder stands. I can't have 300 yard tracking jobs because then the animal is on another property and in some cases horse pastures, and that just does NOT help in neighbor relations. It HAS to be accurate, has to be BOOM FLOP as best as I can. The Parker Web site says 70% weight retention, I would agree with that. I shoot them at about 2000 fps, with 44g of AA 5744, about the same as 150g of 777 pellets. They are very good, butI would go with the TMZ because if you hit bone with an oblique shot, or a shoulder hit---because your shooting off hand andthe animal is moving when you shoot---then you will get shoot thru with the TMZ thru BOTH shoulders and thru the top of the lungs. Barnes Origonals also do that with a .458 300g rifle bullet and an Orange MMP OR a .452 Crushed rib sabot, they also have a HIGH BC. In fact here are the BC ofmost Barnes Bullets for MLers:

Barnes #45105 275g XPB BC of .141, using HPH12
Barnes Expander MZ 300g #45131 BC .207, using HPH12
Barnes Origonal 300g #457010 Spitzer SP BC .291, using MMP Orange or Crushed Rib .452 sabot
Barnes X-bullet 300g XFN 45832 BC .204, using MMP Orange
Barnes X-bullet 300g FB 45802 BC .235, using MMP Orange

The PBE were about $13 for 15 bullets at MidSouth Shooters Supply, I don't consider that enough difference between the Barnes to make a difference. I like the PBE very much, but just not the 'perfect bullet'. I think you have the perfect bullet in the TMZ, at least with your Omega. Now I see your from MI, and I hear that Smokeless MLs are not allow there, so stay with your Omega, since it shoots so well for you. Shoot it hot what the heck, you gota 200 yard gun there with the TMZ or the PBE.
Chap Gleason

Old 02-18-2008, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the advice on the bullets – I just got a Savage ML thumbhole today. I might need to pick your brain for some advice. I have been on the Savage forum and there is so much info to digest. I’ll probably get shooting in and then get some advice.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice on the bullets – I just got a Savage ML thumbhole today. I might need to pick your brain for some advice. I have been on the Savage forum and there is so much info to digest. I’ll probably get shooting in and then get some advice.
Biggest secrent is 1st shoot the book loads, with the book sabots, and book bullets and a W209a primer. Get that shooting <= 1.5", mine did no problem. Don't use Kleenbore primers, not hot enough for Smokeless. Also SABOTS MUST be extremently tight, not loose, thesabots that come with the PBE are way too loose in a Savage, use MMP12s they fit just right. Be prepared for little gotcha's like the barrel cooling problem of waiting 15 minutes. I shot mineearly in the AM and only shot 10 or 15 shots at a time. I did notwait the 15 minutes between each shot thataccuracy folks recommend, but I got excellent accuracy for me and my capabilities.Be prepared for MISFIRES of the primer going off shooting the bullet and powder out. Have>>ALL<< your tools to take the Breech plug out. MUST have a witness mark since you won't know sometimes if thebullet was shot out of the gun on a Misfire and you do NOT want to double load. 1st shot of the season for mewas a misfire---didn't compress the sabot onto the load---another biggie. You have to LEAN your entire weight into the ram rod to seat the bullet and sabot on the charge.....the is the biggestboogie man for misfires.That has been my experience, I am no expert on the Savage, just read a lot and the guys on the Savage board really really helped me. I would go to the Savage shoot in April in Indiana, since it would not be far from you.
You will get expert help there big time.
Chap

Quick Reply: Good results 150gr ff and Remington PT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.