Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What would you do?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 PM

Default What would you do?

I was looking through the new Rule book for colorado and looking under mule deer, i noticed for Archery season, its either sex for my unit. Muzzleloader or rifle season is bucks only[:@]
I am really thinking about sighting in my bow, never hunted with it before. I can always buy an elk tag for rifle seaon and take my muzzleloader. Bucks and elk during muzzleloading season are kind of difficult to find, especially since i havent hunted the area in 3 years.
Should i pull the ol' bow off the rack and give it a try?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What would you do?

I find a lot of enjoyment bow hunting. I always liked sitting in a tree out in the woods, watching the world go by on a nice autumn day. Bow hunting does take a lot of practice to be able to make some of the longer range shots. Also you need to make sure you are physically up for the challenge. To me it was always a very short range sport. Much like muzzleloading used to me to me as well...
Old 02-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Go for it. The more time I spend in the woods the better I feel. Its like therapy. Harvesting an animal is secondary. But like Cayugad said, please practice before you go. The critters deserve it.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go for it, if you learn it well you will enjoy it. I started hunting with a long bow [my dad made theand taught me] that I made under my fathers direction when I was 12 years old that was 62 years ago. I have taken 109 deer with a bow and only 38 with a gun. Lee
Old 02-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I say go for the bow, that is really my favorite way to hunt. But I have found that when it gets colder out, it makes it hard to use the bow.