Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelt recovered

Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Powerbelt recovered

I shoot the 245gr aerotip Powerbelt over 100 grains of 777 out of my CVA .50 cal Kodiak Mag. I have used this load succefully on deer out to 160 yards and as close as 10 yards. I have never seen them fragment and have always had passthroughs until this shot. I have heard the horror stories of Powerbelts, but believed them to be mostly with hollow-points. Besides, the aerotipsshoot great out of my setup.

Near the end of the Michigan Black Powder season, a lone doe came in 45 yards out standing at the edge of some timber and brush. When she finally turned broadside andeverything lookedclear, I fired. I heard her crash and knew she was hit hard. I went to the point she was standing and noticed a 2 inch diameter tree had a hole blown through it right where her tracks were standing (heavy snow on the ground). There was still blood everywhere and was easy to follow. I found the deer 45 yards later with good blood throughout the trail. The bullet entered just behind the right shoulder after going through the tree and did come out the far side of the deer. In processing the deer, I found the bullet between the hide & ribs on the far side of the deer. The base green cap was still with the bullet.Thought you might like to see some pics of the recovered bullet. Again, this is how I pulled the bullet from the deer after blowing through a 2 inch tree.

Not saying that Powerbelts will work for everyone, but they have my vote. I just love talking bullets & broadheads. I am also going to try and get out to take a picture of the tree that was hit.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Powerbelt recovered

Another side view of the bullet.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

I plan on weighing the bullet as soon as I get the scales back out. It will be weighed without the cap and aerotip, but still should give me an idea of how well it stayed together.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 PM

Da mn!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

That must be a new way to get expansion... shot through a tree first. Just kidding.

Congratulations on the deer. It looks like the powerbelt did a real good job.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Da mn!
You have a new buddy now. Chap
Old 02-13-2008, 05:22 PM

lol.

Ive shot the 245's for a long time out of the X-150 but i never shot through a tree and then into a deer .. I am going to have to put all those 295 powerbelts through some tough tests it looks like.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Tree pic's?????????????
Old 02-13-2008, 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

lol.

Ive shot the 245's for a long time out of the X-150 but i never shot through a tree and then into a deer .. I am going to have to put all those 295 powerbelts through some tough tests it looks like.
see what happens when you slow those powerbelts down!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not doubting your story but that tree had to soak up a lot of energy from the bullet. And then to have almost pass thru the deer too. What size was the entrance hole in the deer? It had to be huge.

Quick Reply: Powerbelt recovered

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.