Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My Leupold story.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My Leupold story.

Not saying it happened to you:More quality scopes areruined bybeing improperly mounted than are kicked to death by shotguns and muzzleloaders. Today there are lots of cheap scope rings and mounts made in China running around out there than there are American made ones. Have mounted lots of scopes in the past several years. Many times I have put that cheap Chinese junk on someones gun and have them not lined up when checked with the alignment bar. In many cases you cannot even hone the rings enough to make them align. If you put a scope in rings like that you will bend and/or distort the tube. Iwill notput made in China mounts and rings on a gun.

Have had several guns brought tome with new scopes that would not adjust. Every timecheap junk scope rings have been the problem.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

falcon

Not saying it happened to you:More quality scopes areruined bybeing improperly mounted than are kicked to death by shotguns and muzzleloaders. Today there are lots of cheap scope rings and mounts made in China running around out there than there are American made ones. Have mounted lots of scopes in the past several years. Many times I have put that cheap Chinese junk on someones gun and have them not lined up when checked with the alignment bar. In many cases you cannot even hone the rings enough to make them align. If you put a scope in rings like that you will bend and/or distort the tube. Iwill notput made in China mounts and rings on a gun.
Now that is really a valid point!

If you are going to purchase these minimal mounts and rings you really should make sure there is alignment... torqueing the scope in an unatural way wouls certainly lead to doom down the road. And I am not saying that you should only check foreign mounts and rings - all mounts and rings should be checked there are very few being built here anyway.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is quite possible that it may not have been a Leupold scope. There was a post somehere on huntingnet.com that a co. was manufacturing a scope very similar to leupolds. Leupolds response was all their scopes have a serial number and some other differences. You may want to check with Leupold to see what, if anything they did if it is indeed a Leupold scope. You may have to do a search in here to find the post.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

"And I am not saying that you should only check foreign mounts and rings - all mounts and rings should be checked there are very few being built here anyway."

This is true andI do check every set of rings. I have found bad rings that were made in the US, butvery infrequently.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got the scope back that I sent in. It has the same serial number any way.
If money were picked off trees I would have all Pentex scopes. I have two and love them. I have two leopulds and they are alright but for my money I find the bushnells the best I can afford and they work well I have 8 of them from banners to trophys. I have one very old weaver K4 that is a very good scope too as well as bing the cheapest I bought at $5.00. I have 2 simmons that work OK but nothing great.

Al