Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva wont group

Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cva wont group

Weather may have had its hand in the matter as well. I would'nt give in so easily, the two major concerns have already been mentioned, checking the breach plug and possibly floating the barrel. It seems that the barrel was well taken care of and that it was clean and clear. Did you fowl the barrel with a primer before shooting. I hear guys do that all the time and they claim they get better accuracy. I have never done that with my toys and they shoot fine, but guys who swear they can't get things to grouphave said this works well. Your gun can only confirm this. I would give it a try.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:45 PM

wow!-appreciate the fast replies-i use remington 209 primers-my pellets are about 1 year old(stored in a cool dry place)-gun been fired about 110 times,the 1st70 grouping well,and the most recent 40shots going all over-always cleaned the gunthoroughly after shooting---so now i will re-scrub the bore,use new powder,get a new plug,and scrape away at my synthetic stock until i canslide a piece of printer paper between the barrel and stockdown to where it has to be in contact with the stock(the area where it bolts to the stock)ok,lots to do here,i better get started[:-]

Old 02-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Haha what a surprise. Ditch those remington primers. In fact, open your toilet lid, dump and then flush.

get some CCI, Federal or Winchester 777 primers. I recommend these due to the fact i owned an X-150 bolt action and these primers did the best. The remington primers are horrible. The 3 listed primers above also remove from the breech plug easily and do not swell into the breech plug like the remingtons and w209's do.

Just try switching to one of the primers listed above and then take it out shooting and see how it will do.

Also, Heres some info to help you free float your barrel, its done step by step. Very simple to do and the results i got were excellent.
http://www.gbofreeforums.info/ThePow...topic.php?t=17