Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

VariFlame Primer Adapter

Old 02-02-2008, 06:21 PM

Default VariFlame Primer Adapter

Has anyone tried the VariFlame Primer Adapter sold by R&P Muzzleloading?

http://bpbullets.com/variflame%20primer%20adapter.html

I get a lot of blowback on my MK-85 with the 209 conversion.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: VariFlame Primer Adapter

I have them in both my 209x45 Encore and 209x50 Omega and get no blowback and they work great .
Charlie
Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Spike

kvjimbo....I have the vari-flame system in an Omega.I don't think you'll notice alot of difference in blow back with one.What you will probably see is a lot less flyers.Have you ever shot 2 really good rounds,maybe even almost if not infact touching.Then that third one goes 1-2 inches out.The principal with VF is less primer ignition pressure because with the VF you can prime w/small rifle primers.I use cci400 small rifle primers.Why you ask,...because the theory is,and I believe it,that hot primers such as 209 shot shell primers are just plain over kill for ignition purposes.The theory further says that high pressure ignition will at times(flyers)push the sabot/bullet off the load somewhat creating a gas leak if you will.This would in principal give the same result of a poorly seated sabot/bullet.Now,I will say I did see some reduction in blow back but I saw a bigger improvement in group consistancy.For blow back fix,go to the 25acp conversion.I have one of those on my second Omega.A whole nother'story.Search it here and you'll have plenty of reading on the subject.Hope I helped...hunt4me
Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used them and they do cut back on fouling. Can't really see any great improvement in accuracy, though.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

HUNT4ME, I have heard that theory, but if thats true why do the Ultra's work so well with 200or 250 gr of powder by using a magnum large rifle primer which is 10X hotter than a shotgun 209? I am begining to think that there is more to this primer business than meets the eye at first glance, like maybe some of these 209s are just not to consistant? I dont disput how well anything works but I am gettinginterested enough to think about a little experiment or two; like milling out a breach plug to try some of my 44 mag cases with pistol pistol mag and rifle and rifle mag just to see what loads will burn and if there is an accuracy trend with any certain one. Lee
Old 02-04-2008, 07:20 AM

I was using the variflame and tried two T7 primer. They shot 2-3" off from the group. I'll post the target when I get a chance . Haven't tried to repeat to see if it was a fluke.