Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

throw our 777 away, look for this new powder

Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: throw our 777 away, look for this new powder

txhunter58

I know about the moisture absorbtion of T7 but frankly I have never had a problem with that particular aspect of the powder. Maybe I am just lucky where I live here in northern Idaho. I have had bottles opened for months used them at the range during rain and snowstorms with the caps off and the reloader spout on. I have shot these bottles through the chrono from the day they were new until the last grainual and really never showed a marked difference in velocity. I am one of those guys that leaves the ML loaded for months at time during huntin season - which is often very bad weather and never had a problem with ignition or velocity, using a 25 ACP or a Remington 209-4.

I am know expert for certain, but I do believe there is some sort coating material covering each granual of T7 that does help "resist" moisture. I have and would encourage you or anyone else to try this expreriment. Fill a small can, like a tuna fish can near full of water - pour 30/40 grains of T7 into a single pile in the center of the can. It will sink to the bottom immediately and form an inverted cone.As long as the water is not agitated it remain in granular form (appearance)in that inverted cone as long as you want to leave it that way. It does not swell up and disolved with out agitation. If you try this same experiment with real BP or any of the Pyro's or any of the other subs - the powder begins to dissolve immediate when it hits the water - in fact it is not long and the water will be black. Not so with the T7 - it retains its granular form and it's inverted cone until disturbed by movement or agitation. I further believe it is this film/thin cover that also increases the need for a hotter flame to ignite it. The last part of my experiment was then to draw of as much water as I could with a syringe (sp) without disturbing the cone. Again the cone retains it's shape in the bottom of the can. From there I have placed it in a heated area and allowed it to dry. Several days later the cone will be a solid again. You do have to wait until completely dry-but then youcan break up the pile load it and shoot it. I have never shot that across a chrono but it will shoot.

So in a lot of ways I think T7 gets some what of a bum rap when it comes to incedental moisture abortion. I have never had it clump up like APP of BM3.

Just my observations - nothing scientific but it has not let me down at all.

The real truth for me will be number of shots of equal velocity per 10 oz can to a comparable $20 bottle (retail) or $10 bottle (wal-mart close out) of T7.

The other thing that I do like is the decreased barrel pressures associated with B209 - that really interests me. As I have said I do have a couple of cans on order and really want to do some chrono exprimenting myself, but all still hinges on $/shot.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

sabotloader
titleAndStar(3326,0,false,false,"","")

Interesting. I just tried it and it's true. I'll leave it like that for a while, draw the water off and shoot it when I get the chance.

I will also try the B209 just to see (as many of us will). Time/experience will tell.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

If you use a Knight you can purchase the power stem breach plug (from Knight) and mostly end the crud ring thing.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:57 PM

What's this stuff made of? One source says it's nitrocellulose based and another says it's not.
Well, if it's nitrocellulose based, then guess what, it's a smokeless powder. I guess we'll find out when the MSDS sheet is posted. Regardless, it's good to see some other options out there.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

txhunter58, that comparison was due to the fact that 110 gr of BH209 gives the same velocity as 3 pellets of 777. Lee
Old 02-04-2008, 10:52 AM

anyone have any write ups on this stuff?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

barry1me

Here is one..
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/SpecialReport2.html

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/HuntReport2.html
Old 02-04-2008, 04:13 PM

That stuff sounds very interesting. I'd seriously consider giving it a try, even for the extra cost if it truly amounts to a 0.40 cent shot now costing 0.60 cents or so. I'll be looking forward to some reports.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:59 AM

To me the non-corrosive, non fouling qualities and the freedom it gives me to take my smokepole far away from the environment to give it a proper cleaning without fear of possibly wrecking my equipment is worth every extra penny spent and I will gladly do so and be a forever customer if these observations pan out. My Black Diamond with the 1-20 twist loaded heavy with this stuff over a 300gr White bullet over 2000fps sounds like just the ticket for a Maine Moose next Fall
Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 AM

I'll be giving it a try for sure.

Quick Reply: throw our 777 away, look for this new powder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.